Persistent ear infection/head tilt.

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
HannahF

Persistent ear infection/head tilt.

Post by HannahF » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm

One of my lads has had a head tilt since October which has previously responded to meds but keeps returning.

Initially he was given steroids (liquid to dose daily, can't remember the name) and 3 weeks of Baytril, I did ask the vet for synulox but he insisted Baytril was the better one for the problem. After he finished the course he hadn't improved so I used a different vet who gave him a steroid injection and 1 week of clavaseptin (1/4 a tablet twice daily, they're 50mg tabs iirc), I had asked for longer but she wanted to see him again before she gave him more, he did improve with this but did to various issues I wasn't able to get him back there until he'd been off it about 5 days by which point it had returned fully. I then got an additional 2 weeks of clavaseptin, the tilt was almost completely gone by the end of this. After 2 days off meds it starting again, I've now been given an additional 3 weeks worth of which he's had 1 week along with a steroid injection but it's actually getting worse now.

What concerns me at the moment is he didn't even seem to improve from the steroid injection this time. What alternative meds could I try?
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

lpt100

Re: Persistent ear infection/head tilt.

Post by lpt100 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:44 pm

Draxin? I think is considered the strongest/most powerful and is injected once a week (but can be more if necessary). We felt it help slightly with Daisy, but unfortunately it didn't cure her.

In other cases though it has seemed to be a miracle drug. It's rather expensive though.

Good Luck
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 am

We've found that generally once they get a tilt it stays.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 pm

I haven't been able to find any information about draxxin for ear infections, I'll discuss it with the vet one he's finished this lot of abs if he gets worse again.
KateR wrote:We've found that generally once they get a tilt it stays.
I am expecting there to be some tilt remaining but as he actually improves on the abs then gets worse when off this is wheat makes me think there's still some residual infection there.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

Return to “Health”