My first girl group and first mammary lump

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
dizar

My first girl group and first mammary lump

Post by dizar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 pm

Saw it at the beginning of the week on lottie. She's a rescue and 8/9 mths old so quite young, and I've read up and it seems the best thing to do would be to have her spayed. Would it be best to have it done at the same time as the lump removal, or is it best to wait until she has recovered ?
The lump is near her armpit at the side
Diane and the boys, Smudge, Ernie Bert Archie Clive and Wilbur
and the girls, Poppy, Pixie and Maisie

Kahini

Re: My first girl group and first mammary lump

Post by Kahini » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:15 pm

I'd get it done in the same op - multiple anaesthetics will be riskier and tougher on her than one slightly longer anaesthetic, and doing them separately means she would spend more time overall recovering. Ask the vet to remove the lump first, and then continue on to spay her if she is coping well with the anaesthetic.

That is very young indeed to have a mammary lump. I'm sure it is possible, and it certainly is in a typical location, but are you sure it isn't an abscess or cyst or something? Could you describe it/get a picture of it?
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
Join us on Facebook :)
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

**Formerly known as longlegs**

dizar

Post by dizar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Can't be sure but it doesn't feel like an abscess. Its sort of wide and soft and moveable, there no puncture wound and it hasn't grown any since I first saw it. Will try to get picture

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 pm

I agree with Katie :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

dizar

Post by dizar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 am

Here's the picture had to hold her she wouldn't stay still, but its almost under her arm

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Is she one of the roan girls originally from devon? Just wondering as one of lovethetails' boys from that rescue needed a lump removed afew months ago. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you wanted to PM her for details.

eta missing letter.
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

dizar

Post by dizar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

I think she could be. She came to me via Shiprat and I might do that, would like to know how she went on

thanks

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Yes she is Di.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Her boy Goff had a lump removed, which was found to be a tumour showing signs of malignancy. Far as I know there's been no regrowth so far. I haven't heard of any others from those 2 litters growing lumps yet.
Sorry, hope she makes a speedy recovery from any operation x x
No more ratties

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Hopefully it's just an abscess :luck:
No more ratties

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Ah, if another family member has had a tumour at a young age then I would think that makes it more likely it is indeed a tumour. It certainly sounds and looks like one (as far as one can tell these things online).

If her relative had a malignant lump, I would mention this to the vet. Of course there's no guarantee this lump will be the same, but things like this can run in families. I wonder if it would be sensible to remove a bigger margin of healthy tissue around it than they might usually, just to be sure there is no spread? Not sure if this is a wise option, I'm just thinking aloud here :oops:

Let us know how she gets on :luck:

dizar

Post by dizar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks I will mention that when I go. I think whatever it is I shall have her spayed at the same time. I have her sister as well and am thinking now that I should have her done too

dizar

Post by dizar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Lottie had the lump removed yesterday. The vet said it came away cleanly with no sign that it had spread and as far as she could tell just by looking, it was, hopefully just a benign tumour. I decided not to have it tested, but she was spayed at the same time.
She has been alone in the Mary cage for 24 hrs and is now looking amazingly well and climbing up the bars looking for everybody, but their cage is an aviary type and I was just wondering how long I should wait before putting her back in it.
Thought I might just put everyone in the mary with her. I never expected her to recover so quickly.
First experience of spay ;)

Kahini

Post by Kahini » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:18 pm

That's such good news, I'm very happy to read that it all went well :)

They do recover incredibly quickly. I've had girls monkey barring their way across the hospital cage hours after being spayed :shock: I usually keep them in a hospital cage for about 24-48 hours, depending on how they're doing and what their main cage/group is like. They're usually ready in themselves to go back sooner, but I like to give them a chance to start healing first. So in your situation, as you've got an aviary style cage and a not too restrictive hospital cage, I would probably say leave her in the Mary cage until tomorrow. But do what feels right, it's very difficult to judge that at a distance, and different people will have different opinions.

In terms of company, though, mine almost always have that from the start, I send them to the vet with a companion. So definitely put her friends in with her, I'm sure she'll be very happy to see them :) 

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:19 pm

I'd go with a friend or two now (I never have mine split up at all, including at the vets), rather than everyone :) Assuming everything's healing fine, I usually put them back in the main cage ~3 days post op, but having had them all out together free ranging or meeting in the hospital cage first. Not for standard reintro reasons, but because everyone else will want to look at/ sniff the op site as it's different, and that tends to be less stressful for the post-op rat if it's not happening in the main cage.

x-posted!
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Health”