will she be okay?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
drea-1992

will she be okay?

Post by drea-1992 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:29 pm

My rat amber has a re occuring abcssess on her neck she had it surgically removed twice but its on its way back again. My vet said that she's not happy to put her to sleep for another op.. I'm just to keep an eye on these abcssesses. Will she be okay if I just leave them to take their course. She's happy, eating and maintaining her weight. She doesn't seem bothered at all by these horrible absscesses. Like my vet said a rat in the wild would just say 'oh that's messy oh well' lol and just carry on.. Has anyone experienced this? Just need to put my mind at rest? :( thanks

acapae_wolf

Re: will she be okay?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Is she on any ABs?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:34 pm

Hey, Also what post op care did they have?
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

drea-1992

Post by drea-1992 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 pm

She was on baytril but she's off that now. She was put on ABs after the op and then had 3 post op checks (free of charge) to see everything was healing well which it was until now. Its popped up once again :(.

drea-1992

Post by drea-1992 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:43 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Is she on any ABs?
Should I keep her on ABs? :)

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:09 am

I'd try different ABs - we'd do coamox orally, and I know Beri usually puts something (Antirobe?) directly into the wound with abscesses.

Basic issue is if she is getting recurrent abscesses she has a persistent infection. Removing the abscesses isn't working because the source of the infection is still there, and baytril obviously isn't controlling it. So you need to ask the vet for an antibiotic regime that is adjusted to the problem. Getting the pus cultured and finding out what bug or combination of bugs you are dealing with is also an option.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:17 am

neotoma wrote:I'd try different ABs - we'd do coamox orally, and I know Beri usually puts something (Antirobe?) directly into the wound with abscesses.
Yeah, I'd do oral co-amox (baytril's not that great for even simple abscesses). I've only used Antirobe once, but yeah, that or Flagyl topically into the abscess is great. You practically can't give them orally though as so insanely gross tasting (plus they're much less effective that way). So once it's come to a head and you're flushing it, tip some of either one of those ABs into the hole once you've cleaned it.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

drea-1992

Post by drea-1992 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks so much guys, I'll make an apointment with my vet asap :)

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm

The experts have spoken :-) Topical application makes sense as the tricky thing with ABs is that they have to get through the wall of the abscess to work, hence the 'co'. If the space where the abscess was isn't left open, it'll just fill up again. Humans get they packed with some special seaweed based stuff, but rats would undoubtedly remove it :-).

Good luck, and don't worry, with proper treatment and care (flushing with saline) I'm sure she'll be fine.
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

drea-1992

Post by drea-1992 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 am

Thing is when she had her ops.. The vet actually removed the abcsess and the surrounding tissue and that still didn't work so will just a simple flush out and pouring ABs into the open wound work does anyone think? Thanks again :(

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 am

That's why I would look at a suitable alternative oral AB, as well as topical wound care. Fight the bugs in the abscess and fight the systemic infection causing the abscesses.

It's also worth making sure her diet is absolutely top flight, so her system is in as good a place as it can be to fight infection.

Return to “Health”