Urgent! Help please, oedema.

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
lpt100

Urgent! Help please, oedema.

Post by lpt100 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi,

Ruby got her foot trapped and twisted up in a hammock (the cotton from a chewed bit). Came home and released her, foot was still warm and slightly pink, so some blood must have been getting through.

Cut off the offending threads, no sign of bleeding, but now the foot is very very swollen. (think inflated washing up gloves)

We've given some metacam for the pain and and any inflammation - do you think the emergency vets are likely to do anything else?

Any suggestions on sequale/what might happen to the foot next? Is it worth trying frusemide?

Cheers
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

freak_nutcase

Re: Urgent! Help please, oedema.

Post by freak_nutcase » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 pm

I would alternate between a cold and warm compress and massage the foot if she will allow, massage towards the heart to encourage the fluid return
Maddi

Sharing my life 12 lovely rats <3

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks we'll give it a try. Its now so bad that its leaking fluid. Think we'll leave her in the carrier and have her with us tonight so we can keep an eye on her and then take her to our vet tomorrow if its not gone down at all. Poor thing is exhausted :(
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

snais

Post by snais » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:12 am

I really wouldn't massage it, it will be swollen because of inflammation and touching it will just cause her more pain and probably increase the swelling. A cool (not ice cold) compress might help if she will tolerate it. I would leave her in peace to rest, restrict her to the carrier as you are doing overnight and continue metacam 12hrly. Then vets tomorrow to ensure the foot is neurovascularly ok and for other types of painkillers if she is really sore.

Poor girly, hope she's better soon! :girly:
Sarah
Mum to Quicksilver Gyre & Black Dumbo Gimble
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino, Dexter, Titus, Pike, Io and Pan
& past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Thank you. Been to vets, xray to check no broken bones. All OK. The vet gave us some tramadol in addition to the metacam. Trouble is now she's chewing it, Or us when we try to stop her. Wonder if she's 'high' / hallucinating . . . any suggestions on stopping the foot access?

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Rats and opiates aren't a very good mix when it comes to injuries, as often they get obsessively chewy. Try making her a collar until the tramadol wears off?

freak_nutcase

Post by freak_nutcase » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 am

I read a study that suggested that feeding small amounts of ginger (e.g ginger biscuits) could reduce the pica behaviour that is often seen when using opiates in rodents. Might be worth doing see if it helps.
Maddi

Sharing my life 12 lovely rats <3

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:41 am

:-( Struggling to make a collar or sock. Too wriggly. Any tactics? Might have a look and give the ginger a go, ta.

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 am

Keeping her distracted might be your best bet. Tramadol is particularly bad for this - we use opiates post-op, but never tramadol as it is absolutely notorious round here for stitch chewing.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 am

:cry: Fell asleep with her trying to get into an almond. She's chewed through to the bones on her foot.

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:56 am

Oh dear. It may still be salvageable - best bet is vet asap and see what they can do. I'd also tactfully point out that this is a well known side-effect of tramadol in rats, and they might want to reconsider using it in future.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 pm

We're attempting salvage.

The vet used tramadol in her boys and didn't have a problem, but will be more considered about using it now I'm sure.

She spent the day at the vets having massages, cold compresses, cuddles, flushing, cream applied, eye drops for a scratch on her eye etc. And we've come home with Gabapentin, marbocyl, lidocaine spray, intracite gel, frusemide, flamazine, doxycycline, a head cone, vet complan stuff and horrid tasty spray . . . and she had the leg dressed before she came home, in a bid to protect it. We'll see how it goes, so far she seems to be struggling to get at it as its almost a splint.

Fingers crossed, poor ratty.

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I can't help but think that your vet is taking you for a ride somewhat. No half decent rat vet would use tramadol on a rat, nor would they prescribe all that crap you have just listed, they would have gone with common sense and given a cone, some Diazepam, basic antibiotics and told you to leave it be for 24hrs...

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

She does have a chest infection, and eye infection, and tendons were hanging out of the foot. . .

Definitely won't be going near Tramadol again though. She's been off it for 24hrs but is still doing the chewing thing annoyingly.

They tried sedatives, but didn't work, she just carried on the chewing motion. So we're using the Gabapentine to address the possible neuropathic pain thats causing it.

How long do you think it'll take for her foot to scar/heal if she leaves it alone? Is there a good tactic to make sure the cone stays on?

Return to “Health”