Sevoflurane

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
lpt100

Sevoflurane

Post by lpt100 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to share an experience with this anaesthetic.

We recently had Willow PTS (just under 33 months with metastasised vaginal wall tumor), and the vet used Sevoflurane.

Sevo is the pediatric anesthesia drug.

We've had many rats pts at the vets, anesthetised usually with iso, then injected in the liver or kidney. With the iso, you can smell it, and the rat can smell it and tends to struggle to get away from it as best they can.

Willow wasn't beyond forcing to get where she wanted. When she was put in the chamber she had a sniff around and then setteled. When the sevo was turned on, she stayed where she had settled, and went to sleep with no sign of reacting to or fighting it.

Apparently sevo is much less irritating for their respiratory systems, and there is anecdotal evidence that rats, rather than pushing the source of the sevo away pull the tube towards themselves, as apparently it smells of 'fresh soil'.

Just wanted to share in case anyone is curious about Sevo for ratty anesthesia (and for Willows obit. :rattyrainbow:).
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

acapae_wolf

Re: Sevoflurane

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Yeah, I've heard it's good too :) It seems that only a small number of vets currently use it though, and more likely exotics ones.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

My vets use it. I've never seen its effects first hand but it's good to know it potentially reduces stress to the rat as I seem to be in there for surgeries constantly!

Sorry to hear that you lost Willow, but I imagine she had a lovely long life with you.

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm sorry for your loss :( :rattyrainbow:

My old vets used Sevoflurane. I'd not thought about it's use in PTS - but with ops it was amazing. I had them seem to bounce back much faster - although possibly the surgery may have been less invasive and I'm skipping over that. I do know when I read about it at the surgery, and spoke to my vet/surgeon, I was super excited by it. (Well, as excited as a non medical/science person can get really!)
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

freak_nutcase

Post by freak_nutcase » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:46 pm

When I anaesthetise any rodents (I'm a vet nurse) I always turn the iso up in such tiny increments that the rat just adjusts gently to the smell and doesn't get panicked by it. You know when you are exposed to a smell and then your body adjusts and you can no longer smell it? That is the theory behind what I do...it works really well with the animals I use it on and might be worth mentioning to your vets that don't use sevoflurane.

It is also worth noting that sevoflurane can be toxic in rats if soda lime is used as part of the breathing circuit.
Maddi

Sharing my life 12 lovely rats <3

penny_black

Post by penny_black » Fri May 02, 2014 12:23 am

lpt100 wrote:We've had many rats pts at the vets, anesthetised usually with iso, then injected in the liver or kidney. With the iso, you can smell it, and the rat can smell it and tends to struggle to get away from it as best they can.
My vets have used sevoflurane for a while and I noticed the difference straightaway. Not only do my rats seem much more energetic when they're home after an op, but they also don't have the anaesthetic smell on them that they had when the vets used isoflurane.

Return to “Health”