Black lump below eye, cyst?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
madfish

Black lump below eye, cyst?

Post by madfish » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 am

One of our Rats has a small black lump below her eye, over the last couple of months. Originally the vet thought it was a scratch she picked up from her cage mate but i'm not convinced. We have given her a course or 2 of Baytrill but it's still there. Every few weeks she will scratch it (or it bursts?) till it bleeds which is a bit shocking!. After that it seems ok but this seems to be a cycle now, it does not seem to affect her day to day and she is eating well. I'm not convinced the vet is that great and am hoping some fellow rat lovers can identify it from the photo. Thanks in advance.

neotoma

Re: Black lump below eye, cyst?

Post by neotoma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:40 am

I can't identify it - my guess would be some sort of chronic infection / recurring abscess, but it isn't something I've seen before.

However, I would go back to the vet (or to a different vet) and discuss:

1) alternative antibiotics
2) topical treatment to support or replace oral antibiotics and provide symptom relief
3) full examination of the eye and surrounding area under gas to get a clearer diagnosis

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi,

How is she with eating/gnawing?

I've not got an answer, sorry, but a few observations having had a quick look at an anatomy book. The drawings aren't all that clear or well labeled:

The location of the black lump in the picture seems to correspond perfectly to the 'hole' in the skull where the medial masseter muscle inserts, outside of the skull. The nasal cavity behind it is mostly olfactory epithelium, but contains the 'Stenos gland'.

(this is just a interpretation of the few pages I photocopied relating to another issue, hoping it might prompt a memory/idea in those with more experience)

Has she had a x-ray? I'm wondering if the lump is an external sign of a lump growing in that location?
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

madfish

Post by madfish » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks for the reply's, she eats and gnaws fine. The lump (more like a scab) never seems to change but i'm guessing it does annoy her, shes always been prone to the odd goopy eye on that side as well. It looks ok now but when it does bleed it's like something out a horror film. We probably made it worse by trying to clean it and not let the blood clot though. The other night It seemed to take a lot out of her but shes fine now.

My local vet was recommended as a 'rat' vet but to be honest i'm unsure, it seems I know more about them than he does. Plus It is getting a bit steep paying £30 for a thimble full of baytril every time.

Looks like i'm gonna have to find a better one in the area.

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:28 pm

What area are you in? Someone may have a suggestion.
Requiesrat in pace Lib Lib, Rosie Rat, Jemima, Amber, Jade, Tilly, Hazel, Annie, Pip, Daisy, Ruby, Poppy, Moe, Willow, Lyra - 'To the world you're just a rat but to me, you are the world'
Mischiefs: Bella Donna (Bella), Narcissus (Cissy), Digitalis Purpurea (Digit), Luna.

Return to “Health”