Old girl dragging one leg - no sign of pain

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Miss Aislin

Old girl dragging one leg - no sign of pain

Post by Miss Aislin » Sun May 18, 2014 1:00 pm

My 26 1/2 month old girl Cate has been a little worn and wobbly for a while now but today she's positively dragging her back paw, like it's tucked up beneath her in completely the wrong direction. I had a good poke and a prod and she didn't squeak or thrash or panic so I don't think there's any pain.

She seems well in herself, very slight porph around her eyes after she wakes up but that's normal for her (only really noticeable because she's a silver fawn and pale) and she washes it off.

So... Hld in one leg? Is that even possible? Or has she taken a tumble? She seems happy and well - vet visit essential or should I keep an eye on her for a few days? (I have some metacam which I could start her on).

Advice would be appreciated xx
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

acapae_wolf

Re: Old girl dragging one leg - no sign of pain

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 18, 2014 1:08 pm

HLD can initially affect one leg, but the difference isn't really that large. It sounds more like she's twisted/ strained/ sprained it somehow. If there's no pain, it's possible that the nerves are involved somehow. I'd stick her on metacam for now (will help with swelling etc. internally as well as just pain directly) and reassess in a couple of days. Depending on your set-up you may also want to have an easier layout for a bit/ stick her in a low cage to encourage it to heal - her not feeling pain may make it more likely that she injures it further.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:HLD can initially affect one leg, but the difference isn't really that large. It sounds more like she's twisted/ strained/ sprained it somehow. If there's no pain, it's possible that the nerves are involved somehow. I'd stick her on metacam for now (will help with swelling etc. internally as well as just pain directly) and reassess in a couple of days. Depending on your set-up you may also want to have an easier layout for a bit/ stick her in a low cage to encourage it to heal - her not feeling pain may make it more likely that she injures it further.

Her other leg is slow, but she's not dragging it (she's been slow and 'waddled' for a while). I'll try get a picture or a video later but a bit of metacam won't hurt until then :)
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sun May 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Gonna book Cate for a check up at the vets on Tuesday (not that I can really afford to :/) as her leg feels weird. No pain, swelling or inflammation or even discomfort as far as I can tell, but it feels... Loose. I can't explain it, it feels like it's not even attached (it obviously is!). I've given her a bit of metacam just in case it is a break, but honestly I think it's just hld kicking in as she's been waddling for a while - it just seems odd that it's very obvious in one leg over the other.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Could be a skeletal injury in that case, although I'd expect higher pain with that. Check-up sounds like a good idea :luck:
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 am

Hopefully it's nothing too major - google only freaked me out.

She had a funny... Episode? A few weeks ago, where she just suddenly threw a wobbler - it looked almost like a panic attack. She started screeching like she was terrified and hurled herself at the walls of the bath for no reason whatsoever. A minute later she was 100% okay but at the time it was suggested it could have been a fit or a seizure - I'm hoping that has nothing to do with it and she's not got some kind of neurological nasty brewing.

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Tue May 20, 2014 3:57 pm

The vet says it is a break! He's doubled the dose of metacam she's on and recommend I keep her in the carrier for a week to try let it set on its own before we try anything else. Poor mite - she was so good for the vet too!

He says he can't confirm that it's a break without an x-ray (he had a feel and said he could feel an anomaly just above her 'knee' that he suspected was a break (I felt it too, kind of like a knot/bump on the bone towards her hip)) but the initial treatment is the same, if she doesn't heal on her own we need to look into confirmation of a break and possibly a pin to set it.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 25, 2014 1:10 pm

How's she doing now?

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Sun May 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Massive improvements with her leg, walking almost normally now, and alarmingly quick. I hate fighting with her to get her back in the carrier though :( she hates it so much. A few more days and she should be okay to go back in the cage.

Return to “Health”