Boy squinting Right Eye

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
BlinkenNod

Boy squinting Right Eye

Post by BlinkenNod » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Hello.

One of my boys has recently started squinting his right eye and just generally doesn't seem him self the past few days.

He's eating and drinking fine and I've been keeping watch on it suspecting that it could be an eye infection. The worst it's gotten is a slight porphy build up when he wakes in the morning, it seems slightly inflamed as well with an ever-so-small "ring" or red around his eyelids (though this could be porf). His behaviour hasn't really changed other than becoming a bit more squishy and submissive to his cage mates which, when they come near, he immediately closes his right eye and keeps his head down. He currently has an existing sensitive respiratory system that's responding well to cleaning out the cage frequently of ammonia and waste but I'm not sure if those can be connected, otherwise he can be a bit sensitive when the weather changes.

In prudence I'm arranging a Vet visit, but would like some input on it. It's only his right-eye that he squints, have checked his ears and mouth as well as his whole body incase he's in pain or has picked up an infection or is in pain/sensitive somewhere but found nothing. If I do go to the vet, any suggestions to help them uncover the cause would be great. He's approximately 1.8 years old.

BlinkenNod

Re: Boy squinting Right Eye

Post by BlinkenNod » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Upon investigation, it appears my boy has the early stages of a PT. Immediately have started him on Preds and Galastop. He also had some matter in his eye which was washed out and is being treated by wide-spectrum anti-biotics.

My boy is a blue top eared, originally suspected to be around 7 months old when I rescued him and his brother, he will be 18 this August.

Of seven owned rats, this will be the fourth to develop a PT (two confirmed, one suspected). I hope he is responsive to treatment. I feel now that im cursed with this horrible disease in my pets and wish I could vent my rage at the lack of care and consideration that often goes into breeding and raising these wonderful creatures.

Return to “Health”