ZGT question

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Nicky
Admin Aide

ZGT question

Post by Nicky » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

For those that have seen ZGTs in their rats, did they ever start with a bald patch under the ear when no lump or any other symptoms was visible?

My darling Oscar seems to have a bald patch under one ear, although I *think* the fur is starting to grow back. He lost his last cagemate a month ago, but I think Caff did used to groom him. He's lost 3 this year including his brother, so not sure if he's been over grooming himself. He's 23 months old. I really hope it's nothing to worry about as it broke me losing Osc's brother Charlie and I adore Oscar so much.

thanks
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

Caza66

Re: ZGT question

Post by Caza66 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Penny's started with a lump, no bald patch. Hope it's not a ZGT!
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:06 pm

I've had 2 here so far. No bald patches though
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 pm

thank you, I am hoping it's just a combination of cage mate grooming, self grooming following losses. I felt truly sick when I noticed it a couple of days ago - I was very nearly too scared to ask this question.

Because he's older the fur doesn't seem to be growing back fast - he had a preputial gland abscess and it took ages for pink skin to become furry again. Fingers crossed. :luck: He's kind of more than a heart rat if you know what I mean, he's just so much a part of me. I'd have loved to have bred from him.
Cats Steffi Mac

cozmonkey

Post by cozmonkey » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:06 pm

One of my rats, Finn is 11 months old with almost bald patches just behind both ears. He is perfectly fine, I'm 90% sure that he's over grooming as he's a bit of a fussy one!

Hopefully Oscar is experiencing something similar as he may be a little stressed from his losses :(

*fingers crossed* :luck:

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 am

thanks everyone - looks fuzzy now, not so pink :luck:
Cats Steffi Mac

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 am

Oscar's fuzzy fur grew back, balded a bit again. There was a feint wiff from his ear so I had him on baytril and it was clear but I was suspicious I could smell something again yesterday. I'm paranoid after Hugo.

Took him to the vets and he couldn't find anything ominous, just that his ear is a bit mucky inside. He also agreed that Hugo's was most likely a ZGT.

Oscy is on ear drops for 5 days and see how he goes. Fingers crossed for my gorgeous fuzzy man who's now over 2 :luck:
Cats Steffi Mac

ellis

Post by ellis » Wed May 20, 2015 9:30 am

Fingers crossed for you and Oscar :luck:

Only had one ZGT - Tamar's started as a furry bulge, definitely not a bald patch. It was so subtle I only noticed it in a photo of her.
RIP Rani, Ruby, Charlie, Rat, Asha, Rowan, Tamar, Willow, Hazel, Ash, Bramble, Meena, Fern and Fergus :hearts:

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 pm

thank you. I had a facial tumour before that may or may not have been a ZGT. First signs of it were a general unwell-ness and trouble swallowing before the swelling started to come up.

I was beating myself up over Hugo, thinking it was because he'd continually bothered at his face where he had a scratch and not getting him on ABs sooner, but my vet so strongly said Yes last night when I asked if that's what he thought it was......I need to tell myself I can stop beating myself up now.

Away at the weekend so fuzzyman is going to stay with my friend for his ear drops and cuddles - she's coming down to feed them and the cats anyway, but I know she'll adore Oscar and he'll love the cuddles
Cats Steffi Mac

Return to “Health”