Ranaxon dosage question

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Vegan_bunny

Ranaxon dosage question

Post by Vegan_bunny » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi. I am having a very hard time accurately dosing my rat with ronaxan. How does everybody else do it? I need to give him a 10th of a tablet twice and day and this is physically impossible to do accurately. I am concerned that me not giving him a correct dose everyday is causing his resp problems to get worse as he has not improved at all since being on the ronaxan this time around. :(

Last time he was on it he stopped sneezing after about 2 weeks but he is still sneezing and now is making respy noises when breathing. Otherwise he is fine. My next step is to probably use baytril alongside it but if I can't accurately dose him with the ronaxon I will take him off it as I'm wasting time and money and probably most of the stupid tablet.

Thank you in advance.

acapae_wolf

Re: Ranaxon dosage question

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 pm

How are you doing it currently? If you crush the pill and then split it on a shiny surface with a card, you can get it accurate enough. I find using a proper pill crusher rather than two matching spoons gives a more even and finer powder, but that might be down to the quality of the spoons I've had. Split it into two piles first, and then five - easier than going for 10 straight away. And then put each pile into a foil packet there and then for the next few days, rather than splitting it up again each time and remembering where you're at.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Like Beri, I crush a whole tablet into powder and then split into approximately even piles. I just use the back of a teaspoon to crush on a smooth surface. I would have thought dosing once a day would be sufficient though, so you could check with your vet if it would be OK to do 1/5th tablet once daily? Then the dividing would be slightly easier.
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Vegan_bunny

Post by Vegan_bunny » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Thank you. I have tried separating it and storing it but I find I end up with powder stuck to the foil packet and I feel like I'm wasting the majority of it. If this works for you then I will try this. I used a card to split the tablet after breaking it up inside it's packet with a rolling pin. :lol: It worked quite well tbh but as I say every time I move the powder I lose a bit more of it.

Also I have been giving the powder by food. So I usually wet a yummy bit of food and dip it in the powder so it sticks to it but I find Roac doesn't always get all the powder into him. I tried baby food but he wouldn't touch it. :shock: I tried a few different flavours but had no success with it. :( What do you use?

He does actually seem a little better today but we'll see. He seems well one day and very snuffly another so I really don't think the ronaxan is doing much this time around, however, I'm going to keep at it. I have 4 weeks worth of tablets and if they worked I was going to get more because apparently they need a good long dose of it. If it doesn't work would baytril be worth a go? Or septrin?

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Mine either have it in 1/2 tsp of alpro choc pudding or small ball of marzipan.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Trixie red berry malt paste never fails for me (from rat warehouse or rat rations) - I have one boy on long term antibiotics who comes when called for his medicines as he loves the malty paste so much! :luck:
:oldbuck: Merlin :oldbuck: Marvin :dumbo: Herbie
:dumbo: Harvey :dumboteen: Chester

Vegan_bunny

Post by Vegan_bunny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Thank you! I think I have found the problem. I tried him with some quark earlier which he went mad for...until he realised it was on a spoon, then he refused to touch it. :? When I put the quark on some popcorn he licked it all off...medication and all. He's a funny bugger!

I will try the soya yoghurts as I usually have plenty of them in. If that fails I'll order some malt paste from Rat Rations when I next order food. :)

I have managed to put each dose in some foil and so far it seems to be working well. I realise that I haven't been giving him nearly enough so no wonder it hasn't been helping. :rollred:

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Whatever we mix with we pop it on bread.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Mine often will have half their meds from the spoon and then will only take rest off my finger! Weird little things.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

Vegan_bunny

Post by Vegan_bunny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:40 pm

I used to give him it on bread but it was so much of faff and the powder didn't always stick right to it..plus when I was watching him eat it, he would knock off a lot of the powder so this is why I decided to switch.

Tonight we established he hates fruit yoghurt. :roll: I've never had such a fussy ratty!!

CheeseBairn

Post by CheeseBairn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:37 am

My vet dispenses ronaxan as a liquid - 2 tablets in 20ml lactulose. I then give 0.2ml twice daily.

My usual med hider is petit filout little desserts, but for those who don't like that I've been successful with baby food, soup, cake and in one especially fussy case malteesers.

Good luck! Are you still nebulising?
Ratties: Betty, Wilma, Matilda, Cherry, Olive, Arabella, Milly, Pumpkin, and Zephyrs Pebbles, Keme, Iris and Rose.
Bunnies Bea, Bugsy and Chestnut Guin pigs Cookie, Mickey and Storm.
Reiki for people and pets, pet sitting, pet photography: http://www.willowbirch.co.uk

staceyreed22

Post by staceyreed22 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:26 pm

My 3 boys are currently on 1/8 tab twice a day but as they are also on Marbocyl the vet has suggested I give them a 1/4 tab in the morning and then their Marbocyl in the evening. Much easier to split the tablet into 4 and then crush up each 1/4 as needed. I have found that Ronaxan always seems to work better when given alongside Marbocyl or Bayril. Mouse and Joey have it mixed with fruity baby food and peanut butter but Monty will only take it in I add a bit of strawberry jam to the recipe! :)
Mum to Joey

Lots of love to all my babies at the bridge, Dandelion, Burdock, Pip, Fudge, Toffee, Nutmeg, Fluffy, Marmite, Magic, Merlin, Mouse, Monty and my baby boy Marley who was taken from us far too early xxxxx :rattyrainbow:

Vegan_bunny

Post by Vegan_bunny » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 pm

I love hearing what other people's ratties like. I'm glad Roac seems normal with him being a picky little sod.

He does seem better since I've been giving him his proper dose. As for nebulising; I gave up with that because he got so stressed out with it. My vets have told me to persist but I do really hate to see him so terrified. :( Do you think it's something I should be doing? I have no meds (apart from bisolven) to put in the nebuliser and the vet just advised to use saline solution. He isn't hooty anymore but still sneezy.

CheeseBairn

Post by CheeseBairn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:38 pm

If he's not hooty he doesn't really need it imo, I use it to get f10 right into their lungs when they sound gungy. Is it the noise that frightens him? I use they're normal carrier in a bag for life with the mouthpiece and a towel over the top and they usually go to sleep! Glad Roac is sounding better :)
Ratties: Betty, Wilma, Matilda, Cherry, Olive, Arabella, Milly, Pumpkin, and Zephyrs Pebbles, Keme, Iris and Rose.
Bunnies Bea, Bugsy and Chestnut Guin pigs Cookie, Mickey and Storm.
Reiki for people and pets, pet sitting, pet photography: http://www.willowbirch.co.uk

Vegan_bunny

Post by Vegan_bunny » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:40 pm

CheeseBairn wrote:If he's not hooty he doesn't really need it imo, I use it to get f10 right into their lungs when they sound gungy. Is it the noise that frightens him? I use they're normal carrier in a bag for life with the mouthpiece and a towel over the top and they usually go to sleep! Glad Roac is sounding better :)
Yes, I stupidly got an ultrasonic one and the sound of it freaks him out. I want to get some tubing so I don't have to place it right next to his box but I can't find anything that fits. :(

I won't nebulise him. He definitely seems to be improving so I don't want to stress him out and set him back. I will make sure to get him out in the bathroom as much as possible as that always helps because of the damp in the air.

Return to “Health”