Rat got eaten, help.

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
watermelon88

Rat got eaten, help.

Post by watermelon88 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm

We just went to clean the rats out and realised there was one missing. My fiancee was going through the bin bag he had put the dirty bedding into incase one got put in by mistake and he found the remains of the missing rat. Well, pieces of her anyway.

We can't figure it out as we hadn't noticed it happening. We know she was alive 2 days ago as we did a head count, since then we have fed n watered them but been busy and not individually checked them.

Could it be that she died naturally and they were trying to dispose of her? Or is it more likely that they attacked her?

She wasnt even a year old.

They all get on so well, now and again we hear them shrieking and fighting but nothing major and it usually settles down. They've never drawn blood before, its just very noisy. Surely if she was alive and they did this to her it would have sounded different to their usual fighting.

Will the other rats be ok health wise if they've eaten part of her?

Catz

Re: Rat got eaten, help.

Post by Catz » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Oh how terrible.. Im sorry that this has happened to you! Rats can get sick and pass away so quickly, literally be fine one minute and drop the next so chances are she probably past away from a sudden illness and they felt the need to clean up the area.
Its not very common but does happen. Its their natural instinct to remove the body from the area to avoid attracting predators.
I fear this happening so we to a head count ever morning and evening. Im sorry for your loss.
*Ratless*
Rip Socrates, Cai, Loki, Eli, Newton, Sheldon, Sol, Riloh, Di Vinci, Pip, Squeek and Joey
1 German Shepherd (Rio) and 1 Glen of Imaal Terrier (Archer) and 1 ferret (Toki Wartooth) and 1 cat (Ike Crowly)

annc

Post by annc » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Catz wrote:Oh how terrible.. Im sorry that this has happened to you! Rats can get sick and pass away so quickly, literally be fine one minute and drop the next so chances are she probably past away from a sudden illness and they felt the need to clean up the area.
Its not very common but does happen. Its their natural instinct to remove the body from the area to avoid attracting predators.
I fear this happening so we to a head count ever morning and evening. Im sorry for your loss.
I'm so very sorry. This has happened to me twice with the same little group - apparently certain rats do this, while others don't, although few of my losses have been at home. One of my first rex heart rats was found like this. She had apparently been well the night before, but was tiny and may have had a fall or heart attack. Ratarina, twin of Ratarilda had a chest infection. I was in hospital and Mark found her when he came to do the morning feed. I had read about it - my vet hadn't, and was even more shocked than I was.

Thinking of you.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:46 pm

This just happened to me recently with my Teller, i didnt mention it in his obitury because i want to remember him alive and am desperately trying to ignore what happened after. I have heard about it happening so many times on here but it was the first time id witness it first hand and it was far more upsetting and horific than i could have imagined. I wont go into details but the image of him will stay with me forever. I know its their instincts and they are doing what they are meant to do, but it is our instincts to be upset and horrified so iguess we all need to find a middle ground and get on with it.
Not much good advice sorry as im still upset about what i found but wanted to let you know i know how you feel xxx
Boys: Iggy, Bebop, Rocksteady, Rhidian, Maurice, Dangerous Beans, Hamnpork, Magneto and Xavier... and Ned the Gambian.
Girls: Hotdog Princess, Isis, Rhoda, Lady, Kayla and Doris

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 am

It's by far the most likely that she died naturally, and the others were just doing what rats do to clean up the nest. If she'd been killed, you'd expect quite a lot of blood around in the immediate aftermath, and also substantially more noise than usual for the fatal fight.

ETA: the other rats should be fine - as I say, it's completely natural to them, even though it's distressing to us.

watermelon88

Post by watermelon88 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks, it has put my mind at ease a bit. I've heard if it happening but was so shocked when it happened. I'm just glad I didn't see all the remains, I saw a patch of skin and fur and that was bad enough.

Return to “Health”