Love for Esme please

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Muskrat

Love for Esme please

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:39 pm

I would like a bit of support please, none of the people I usually flap at about these things are around and I need somewhere to flap! Today is the 2nd anniversary of the day I collected Esme. She's decided to mark the occasion by suddenly looking ill :(

She's been out for an hour or so and has been fine, but I picked her up to put her in the carrier and she was mouth breathing and looking uncomfortable. She bit me, but not hard. My thought is that she's swallowed a bit of wood - I was putting her in the carrier because she'd been chewing the chest of drawers and the noise drives me mad. She's never, ever had any respiratory problems, but now has crackly and shallow breathing and foofy fur (though she tends to have foofy fur anyway 'cause she's special). She just ate a bit of pak choi so she is eating.. and she's toddling around alright, if a little shakily. She just isn't at all happy.. She will of course be off to the vet if need be, but with things as they are I don't see what they can do without needing to anaesthetise her, she's not letting me handle her at all and there's no way in hell you'd be able to get near her mouth without human casualties. Argh. *feels sick* :cry:
Sian and Emmie, Moss and Jessie.
Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.
"all small beasts should have bows in their tails"

HannahF

Re: Love for Esme please

Post by HannahF » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Poor girl, I hope she shifts whatever it is soon x
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm

BIG LOVE to Esme xxx
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

lauraaa

Post by lauraaa » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 pm

esme :hearts:
Rattie mum to bucks: Odin and Loki. RIP Alvin, Callisto Zippy, Prince, Theodore, Dobbie, Dumble and Callisto Elmo, (and of course Scabbers, creature, and Odd ball who went to a new rat mum) :( :hearts:

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Absolutely no sound advice for you I'm afraid, but if you can get her to take some AB's then I'd do that as a precaution. Brams went from choking straight into pneumonia and although I know eating wood :roll: isn't quite the same thing, I don't think it can do any harm. Thinking of you both :hearts:
::Katie::
[Callisto Rats] Breeding for happy, healthy Badger and Variegated rats in Russian Blue, Black & Agouti
Visit us on FB

emily97

Post by emily97 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Lots of love to Esme :hearts: .
Emily and the three beautiful girls Heidi :dumbogirly: , Clover :girly: , Panda :girly: , the handsome boys Arthur :smile: and Merlin :smile: .

Play well at rainbow bridge little Vanity, Sophie and Topsy you will be forever missed!

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Thank you folks. She's okay and is breathing normally again, except for a little gruntiness. Something must have upset her because she's still being really funny about me touching her. She'll let me pick her up now, but shrieks and tries to bite me if I hold her upright (I do this daily to make sure she's used to health checks and slightly rough handling for exactly these sorts of situations, usually she tolerates her daily restraint).. maybe because to hold her like this you have to be firm and she's not appreciating the extra pressure on her chest? Maybe just because she's stressed and uncomfortable and so is reverting to crazy wild Esme.. who knows. Either way she seems to have mostly recovered, she's eaten/devoured some (very very sloppy) mashed potato and Nutrical and is happily nomming dry mix currently.

I'll keep an eye on her and start her on abs if she's still a little noisy in the morning. Stupid rats breaking themselves on already very stressful days. What would I do without this forum? *collapses in a big tired heap*

:girly:
Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.

Exogenesis

Post by Exogenesis » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Aww, seems Esme is very like her namesake, bit of a cantankerous old so and so, but she's a little toughie. Much love to Esme x
Kirsty and the Ratty Girls; Pam and Nell & Ratty Boys; Ichigo, Renji, Zaraki and Harper. And the cat, Darwin.
Gone but not forgotten; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuki, Shiro, Rukia, Amaya, Ellis, Nick, Mai, Misaki, River, Armand, Coach and Kokoro

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Love to Esme :hearts:
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:55 pm

When we first got Spencer (RIP little man) he scoffed his food and ended up mouth breathing and almost choking, scared us to death only had his 24h and almost lost him!
He was grunty etc and shifted it in the end, hopefully Esme did something similar.

*love to Esme and you!*
Lisa is owned by Harry and Travis
Loved and Lost but never forgotten; Spencer, Rex, Kes, Alfie, Wilson and Husky.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:21 pm

:hearts: :hearts: Love to Esme =]

How is she now?

xx
Amy and the Cupcake Rats
Breeding for Topaz/Agouti rex, Mink/Chocolate and Black/Russian dumbo.
Facebook

malude

Post by malude » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Sending lots of love to Esme, hope she's improving :hearts:
:halo: How wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying :halo:

Kelski

Post by Kelski » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Love for your little one. :hearts:
Kelly // Dudley, Bracken & Flossie

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 pm

How is the lovely Esme now?

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 pm

She's okay thanks. She's been on abs for a couple of days now because some of her cagemates started to look poorly too (there's a thread around here somewhere) and she seems a little better. She's still foofy, but it's really difficult to tell with her whether she's unwell foofy or just generally foofy! She's certainly looking better though :)

Return to “Health”