Swollen foreskin + infectious UTIs?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Muskrat

Swollen foreskin + infectious UTIs?

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Poot has a swollen foreskin currently, not massively so but it looks very sore. Haven't noticed him peeing yet, but he was very quiet during free range today and has been underweight recently. This doesn't seem to match up with any of the UTI symptoms I've read, but that's all I can think of. Any ideas?

Also, over the past couple of days we've noticed a few things..

Esme had a stressy foofy episode a couple of days ago and hasn't been right since. We thought she was choking, but she could easily have been displaying similar symptoms due to stress - gaspy breathing, foofiness, unwillingness to be held, etc. She's still a bit grumpy and poorly/old looking, and this evening we noticed that her urethra is red possibly with a little blood (though not swollen like Poot's). We're going to start her on abs this evening.

Burdock has been sneezy and foofy, without any actual respiratory problems or anything.. we'd been hoping it was just a little something he'd get over on his own.

We noticed yesterday that Beri's Orbit had some greenish discharge around her vagina/urethra. It was dried on the hairs and didn't smell like anything awful.

Is it possible all these things are connected and infectious? Obviously my rats and Orbit share a room, and they also all spend time on the sofa etc. If it does sound like something which is going round what do we do? Should we treat everyone?

ETA: Both Esme and Orbit are spayed.
Sian and Emmie, Moss and Jessie.
Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.
"all small beasts should have bows in their tails"

Muskrat

Re: Swollen foreskin + infectious UTIs?

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 pm

I've started Poot and Esme on baytril, and Poot on Metacam too. Vets in the morning *sigh*.
Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.

malude

Post by malude » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to offer but am sending hugs and well wishes to you and Beri and all the ratties. I hope it's nothing serious and everyone is feeling better soon :hearts:
:halo: How wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying :halo:

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:56 pm

malude wrote:I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to offer but am sending hugs and well wishes to you and Beri and all the ratties. I hope it's nothing serious and everyone is feeling better soon :hearts:
This ^^^^ from me too. Lots of gentle hugs and love and scritches to everyone
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm

It sounds like they may all have infections 'down below' (to channel my granny...). Vets and ABs are the only sensible course I can think of. I've emailed my vet about the schnorble's green vaginal discharge, just in case he has any ideas you could float with your vet.

remy the blue rat

Post by remy the blue rat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:04 am

He doesn't have a penis plug does he? As u say his foreskin is swollen?
Just a thought.
1 german shepherd-Ruby
2 Cats Arthur & Mia

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 am

He's more than capable of keeping himself clean and free from penis plugs, so I doubt it. Even if he's been a bit lazy I'd imagine if a penis plug was causing soreness or infection first thing he's do is clean it..

Vets at 2pm. Poot seems more swollen this morning and made an awful noise when I squeezed him to see if he would wee :(

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:58 am

Poot sounds like it could be an infection, and so long as his foreskin is still over his penis then hopefully you should be able to treat it fairly easily. I he's not weeing at all it's possible that something like a bladder crystal is blocking the tube. :-( this is very sore and also hard to treat, though I have a vague recollection of someone having successful bladder surgery to remove stones. I think these would show on either an x-ray or an ultrasound.

Chris' two babies who live in my rat room started with upper resiratory symptoms a couple of days ago - and as they are the only rescues/vulnerable rats in the room - maybe something mild came back from the show - the timing would fit? They started on Baytril 2 days ago and were definitely feeling better last night. I will watch, but certainly not treat the rest of mine who all seem fit and well. Will update in a few days, and maybe a post to the infectious diseases thread might be sensible.

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Thank you Alison. Hopefully Chris' boys will clear up quickly. I sincerely hope he doesn't have bladder stones :(

He's excreted something just now. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was wee.. it was thick and dark and smelled of infection. But at least he's managed that much. He's hiding his poorliness very well and is perfectly bright etc.. but obviously very uncomfortable. Poor little man :(

Would ice help with the swelling, or is that a really bad idea given the location of the pain? It's horrible seeing him like this.

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Poor Poot :( Is he drinking enough? I used honey water when Alfie had a doozy of a UTI (peeing blood :shock: ) , as he just wouldn't drink. I'd imagine passing really concentrated wee is probably more painful than well watered down stuff. Hope Poot feels better soon :luck:
Pip Imp Elf

Plus Silly Dog (puggle)

Too many gone, but never forgotten x

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:26 pm

I haven't noticed his drinking to be perfectly honest, but I'll give them all some Dr Squigs and sloppy food tonight.

Vet seemed to agree that it's all possibly connected. Especially since when I was explaining symptoms I suddenly realised that the only rats who haven't looked at least a little unwell over the last few days are Ptarmie (though David was concerned about him this morning we may now just be seeing symptoms where there aren't any out of worry!) and Oak.. who is already on antibiotics for ongoing myco issues. Minnow's preputial abscess has reappeared, though it's only small this time, so possibly something which is compromising their immune systems?

Poot did a small, normalish wee after my last post which was full of blood when I tested it. The vet also squeezed out a tiny bit of pus so we're going with infection for now. Esme has also been looking really hunched and uncomfortable and her breathing is shallow but not noisy.

We're treating all of the boys and Esme with Baytril, and Poot and Esme are also having Septrin and Metacam. Orbit is getting Baytril too as a precaution.

Hopefully they'll be feeling better soon :(

Muskrat

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:50 pm

We actually have Tribrissen, rather than Septrin. We have the 80mg tablets, does anyone know what dosage we should be giving? Poot weighs about 500g, Esme about 350g.

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry, not ever had those.

Here's the email from my vet on orble - I've pm'd it to Beri as well, but thought I might as well post it here (n.b when I emailed, I did describe it as vaginal discharge, rather than ureathral - obviously if it's ureathral, it could be a uti):
With regard to Beri's rat - no, there is not much to get infected, other than developing a vaginitis (bacterial vaginal infection) or having a reaction to the suture material used to tie off the cervix (cervical stump granuloma). If there is a green crusty discharge I would start some antibiotics (amoxycillin/clavulanate - at 20mg/kg) and see if it resolved. Making a smear of the discharge and checking for bacteria might be useful if the vet if feeling very adventurous.

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:40 am

Hugs, this does sound miserable, hope the antibiotics help, can't say I've used them before so cant help with the dosage.

All of mine have been fine, admittedly none are particularly vulnerable rats, though I have several here over 18 months who were also at the show. Shall keep an eye out.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am

neotoma wrote:Sorry, not ever had those.

Here's the email from my vet on orble - I've pm'd it to Beri as well, but thought I might as well post it here (n.b when I emailed, I did describe it as vaginal discharge, rather than ureathral - obviously if it's ureathral, it could be a uti):
With regard to Beri's rat - no, there is not much to get infected, other than developing a vaginitis (bacterial vaginal infection) or having a reaction to the suture material used to tie off the cervix (cervical stump granuloma). If there is a green crusty discharge I would start some antibiotics (amoxycillin/clavulanate - at 20mg/kg) and see if it resolved. Making a smear of the discharge and checking for bacteria might be useful if the vet if feeling very adventurous.
Can't really tell where it's coming from as her hair has thinned a lot down there. It's more vaginal in placement, but then Sian's rats are having urethral problems soooo. She's been prescribed baytril, but not from a particularly knowlegeable vet. Would you go with clava instead? I have some of dridh's that she's not using.

Esme can't be well - she let me stroke her in the cage last night :shock:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Health”