Help with what to do please :(

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Pozzle2010

Help with what to do please :(

Post by Pozzle2010 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Minnie has been really healthy all her life but has recently started growing a lump. She is about 30 months old and is still really happy within herself, loves cuddles and eating! She has nearly lost all control of her back legs and they are dragging around. the lump has recently got really big (golf ball size) And i dont know what to do!
Should I take her to get it removed or is this too much of a risk? I don't want to put her to sleep because she isnt ill and is really happy. But i hate to see this big lump on her. Any thoughts?

SueN

Re: Help with what to do please :(

Post by SueN » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Have been in a similar situation and it is really difficult, she is, in my opinion, too old to risk surgery on and whilst you say she is happy, she is obviously hampered by the lump in that she cannot use her back legs. In our old girl who had a similar lump, it eventually started to ulcerate caused in suspect by in being dragged on the cage floor and at this point we decided it was kinder, although really hard, to let her go. I knew that she would get no better and I couldn't bear to think of her in pain, as we all know they hide pain very well. Only you can make the decision as to what is best and my very best thoughts are with you and your little girl :hearts:
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

Pozzle2010

Post by Pozzle2010 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. Her lump is also dragging on the floor a bit and she is finding it hard to clean it. I will take her to the vets on thursday and she may be pts. Its just so hard because she's my best friend and such a loving girl. :(

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi there....I just want to tell you that I`ve had oldies had lumps removed very successfully . If she is in good health in every other way, it is worth a try but....Personally, I would pay the vet a visit and ask his opinion before you decide on anything.

It is very difficult when you find yourself in this predicament. Did the vet see the lump when it first came up ? I ask , because these lumps are best seen to sooner rather than later...the sooner the better and the better chance of recovery.

They do ulcerate if left wherever they are situated ....and then there is nothing you can do.

I`m so sorry , it`s an awful decision to make . Personally, I`d make an appointment with your vet and see what he advises. Do you have a good rat savvy vet ? I hope so. Good luck to you and hope things aren`t as bad as you think. :luck:
:hearts: Sam, Millie, Cassie, Florence, Dudley, Mumfie. :hearts:

Pozzle2010

Post by Pozzle2010 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes he saw it when it was pea sized but said because of her age, it would be best not to operate but it is ultimately my choice. The vets i use are very good with rats. Have had multiple lump removal operaitons with them and its always been fine. im just so unsure with what to do, I dont know if she is in pain or not, its hard to tell. I will take her to the vets on thursday and see what they recommend.

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Oh, I feel for you. I am thinking of you. He obvioulsy didn`t want to operate on an old girl. You could just leave her being happy as she can and making everything nice for her, it`s all you can do at this stage ...She is a good age . I wish you all the best. :hearts:

MajeekaRevel

Post by MajeekaRevel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 pm

If I was you I would go for the lump removal. What have you got to loose right? At least then you know you tried. If she dies under anaesthetic then so be it but if you just get her put to sleep you'll never know if maybe she could have been saved. It's worth a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained. That is what I would do if I was in your situation but she's your girl and it's your descision.
Mummy to (rats) Harlequin, Hershey and Crunchie (degus) Bluebell and Snowflake

Waiting at the bridge: Majeeka, Revel, Maisy, Daisy, Honey, Theodore, Bert, Tarzan, Cheddar, Simon, Bonsai, Tipple, Orion and Bentley

Pozzle2010

Post by Pozzle2010 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for your reply and I think i've made my decision to go for the lump removal. Ive been upset thinking "what if she isnt ready?" Or if shes happy etc. Im going to try my hardest therefore give her a chance for a longer life :D Thanks guys! you are so supportive :D

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:18 pm

Oh brilliant !! It`s always best to give them every chance....Wishing you all the luck in the world. I once had a 2 and half year old have a lump removed and she was fine, so keep positive !! :luck: :luck:

Siana

Post by Siana » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:21 am

Good luck! I've been in similar situations in the past where the rats were old and the lumps had gotten large enough to start to affect their mobility and quality of life. Like others, I decided I had nothing to lose attempting to get them removed since my only other option was to euthanise.

My oldest girl to have a tumor removal was 3 1/2 years old. Monkey was 3 years when she first developed the lump and I didn't think she'd live long enough for it to become a problem which is why we didn't remove it when she first got it, but I was wrong. When she was taken in for surgery I said goodbye to her, just in case it was the last time we saw her alive. Fortunately the surgery went great, as well as her recovery. We did have to put a vet wrap on her because she was a notorious chewer having opened herself up when she was spayed when younger, but even with the wrap she coped ok. She lived another 6 months before age finally took her from us.

Here she is a day after surgery having a bath:

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54 am

If she's already lost the use of her back legs then I don't think its fair to put her through a operation :( I would let her go while she's not suffering :( I know it's hard ive been there too but she will suffer if you put her through the stress of a operation.

Ofcourse this is only my opinion in the end it's up to you.
Nikki x
with Mabel and Mavis.
also Maxwell the cavalier king charles and Toby the cavalier cross cocker and Stitch the bearded collie :)

Siana

Post by Siana » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 am

Nikki wrote:If she's already lost the use of her back legs then I don't think its fair to put her through a operation :( I would let her go while she's not suffering :( I know it's hard ive been there too but she will suffer if you put her through the stress of a operation.

Ofcourse this is only my opinion in the end it's up to you.
It can depend on the rat. Monkey in the photo above had lost most of the use of her back legs, and it didn't hinder her recovery in anyway, nor did she find it too stressful. I think one of the most important things to ensure they're not stressed is to make sure their pain is managed well after surgery.

I know not every rat would cope with this kind of surgery at this age and I can totally understand not choosing to operate in this situation and instead choosing to euthanise, but it really does depend on the rat. I don't think there's a right or wrong. That's why it can be so hard deciding what to do.

Pozzle2010

Post by Pozzle2010 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Your story is amazing and she looks so cute there with a big bandage! She sort of skims on her back legs and walks on them a little bit. Sort of half and half.. I will make sure she is very comfortable after the operation and the cage is already friendly for her to get around in. I really want to give her one more chance, so i have booked an appointment tomorrow.. If it gives her another couple of months to live it will be worth it, and she will be lump free :hearts:

absolute_twaddle

Post by absolute_twaddle » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 pm

It's ultimately your decision but if you think she will come through this and will make her more comfortable then all of us at Hooligan Heights wish Minnie all the best for tomorrow. :luck:

Mulberry Jane

Post by Mulberry Jane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:14 pm

I've been in the same dilemma, a dear old friend, same sort of age as Minnie, getting a lump and deciding that she was too old to operate, but eventually the lump hampered her quality of life. I ummed & ahhed like you but did go for operating. She came through OK and had a new lease of life, but just less than 2 months later she passed away peacefully (I found her unconscious) She clearly had another faster growing tumour. I haven't regretted going for lump removal however as she enjoyed her last few weeks, and I was glad she died at home with me and her daughters. There isn't a right answer though, just go for whatever you decide is best for Minnie and yourself, after listening to your vet's advice. Scritches to Minnie x
Jane @ Mulberry Rats ... and Mulberry kittens too.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Return to “Health”