Severe resp infection - Tylan?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
HannahF

Severe resp infection - Tylan?

Post by HannahF » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

Cheech has been quite respy for the last week, last friday night he seemed a bit off and then saturday morning he was puffed up and looking skinny. We took him to the vets and he's now on baytril, he's been improving over the last week but last night started to look off again and this morning hes very rattly, porphy, his furs puffed up, looking quite skinny and generally looking like a rather poorly chap.

Took him back to the vets this morning and he seemed quite worried, he said he thinks his lungs are on the verge of collapse. He's given him a steroid injection to see if that helps and told me to call him on monday to let him know how he is. He suggested that we try Tylan if theres no improvement, but he did say it can be toxic to rats so obviously theres a risk in giving him it.

Has anyone had any experience with Tylan?
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

neotoma

Re: Severe resp infection - Tylan?

Post by neotoma » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:22 pm

It's an erythromyacin, same family as zithromax and draaxin. I'm not aware of people having trouble with it (I know there have been a couple of people on here whose vets have preferred it to draaxin), but I've never used it myself, as we use draaxin instead.

I don't really understand why your vet is waiting until Monday tbh, if he is ill to the verge of respiratory collapse now, I'd want it hit hard witha second antibiotic now - a few days can make a big difference.

It would also be worth suggesting doxycycline - it can be combined with erythromyacins (certainly with zithromax and draaxin), and is now a normal drug to try with resp disease.

So you've got a few choices, depending on what your vet thinks, and what you are comfortable with. You could try doxy and baytril in combo (standard resp disease treatment); you could try an erythromyacin combined with one of doxy or baytril; or you could try one of doxy or an erythromyacin alone - and for the latter you should have the choice of at least tylan and zithromax, as the latter is available from pharmacists with a vets prescription, even if your vet doesn't stock it. And if your vet does any agricultural work, they should have draaxin around (0.1 ml / kg of rat, once a week injected)

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:55 pm

The waiting until monday may have been my fault, I was quite shocked at how bad he actually was when he mentioned tylan and suggested its being potentially toxic it was probably quite clear I wasnt comfortable with that, it was the only ab he suggested other than baytril. He is a brilliant vet and has said he's happy to try different combos for me though, so if I go back with a good idea of what could work then he should have no problems with giving it a go.

He seems to have perked up quite a bit and has had a little bit to eat as well.

I'll ask him for draaxin and doxy, hopefully it'll help him. Thank you :)

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:00 pm

I know one time I called him out for an emergency he was doing something for a cow (although don't know how often he does agricultural stuff) so good chance he would have something like Draaxin/tulathromycin.

He is a great vet, he's amazing with diagnosis but I just don't think he's had as much experience with using different ABs on rats. I think I'm probably a large chunk of his rat patients, and i've had very little in the way of resp problems oddly enough. He is very willing to try new things though, which is a good thing.
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

If you can, I'd probably go for the doxy and zithro/ draxxin given the seriousness and that he got worse again. As I said earlier (when FR wasn't loading), I have heard of tylosin, but 'heard of' rather than 'heard of anyone actually using it', if that makes sense. I wouldn't rule it out based just on that, but I am quite the draxxin convert now. If Chris treats cows he should have it - it's a calf and pig drug. Open-to-new-things vets are always better than otherwise. Until getting dridh and Norey I'd had hardly any experience with resp. infections/ ABs either. Good luck :luck:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:06 pm

I took him for an emergency appointment as he got really bad this morning. He's been PTS, Chris took a syringe full of dark browny black fluid out of his lungs after he PTS so it was definitely the right decision. He thinks it likely he had a tumour on his lungs. Poor little man, at least he's not suffering anymore :(

edited

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that :( .

Looby Loo

Post by Looby Loo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

:rattyrainbow: sorry to hear the news

FoxyVixen

Post by FoxyVixen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:18 pm

so sorry to hear that little Cheech went downhill so quickly :(
~*~ Impa ~*~ Pekoe ~*~ Kiki ~*~ Pashmina ~*~ Pudding ~*~ Saria
~*~ Missing all of those who have had to leave, especially my one and only: Egg ~*~
Facebook page: Rat Does Love Mischief!

Return to “Health”