Broken teeth?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Anthony

Broken teeth?

Post by Anthony » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Hey :(

I think Ollie has broken his teeth. He is currently recovering from a tooth/facial abscess. The abscess in question was on the side of his face though and not regarding his front two teeth. For the past couple of weeks he began to lose weight, but we just put that down to the abscess. However, today I noticed that he got excited when I gave the group food, he took his favourite bit of the food and ran around the cage, had a little nibble and left it. So I decided to have a look in his mouth.

His top two teeth are like this: \, if you know what I mean. One is longer than the other (not to the extent of the \ but I cant find a picture to show it!). His bottom teeth are a little long but again, one is longer than the other. But his bottom teeth kinda do this /\ :S I can't really explain. I'm gonna get him to the vet, but anyone have any advice? I just don't know what to do.

ETA: It looks like this! Exactly like this: http://ratfanclub.org/TEETH_files/image004.jpg Except Ollie's isn't sharp like this picture.
Anthony & Edward, Liam and Spartan

Anthony

Re: Broken teeth?

Post by Anthony » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Okay! so... just after I posted this, I found a nice article about it.
If there is a tooth abscess or problem with the nerves or muscles on one side of a rat’s jaw, the teeth will commonly wear unevenly or overgrow.
So I'm gonna take him to the vets to get it trimmed and ask for him to be on pain medication until all of his abscess problems are sorted for good?

rattycorner

Post by rattycorner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:47 pm

I saw this once a couple of years ago. The abscess has probably meant that he's been biting off centre so his teeth have worn down crookedly. With luck, getting them trimmed back level again will help him to start biting straight again once the abscess is sorted.
Annette and the Brandywine Rats
at Ratty Corner
The Midlands Rat Club

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Some antibiotics cam also cause broken teeth and tooth loss :(

Can you remind us what Ollie has been taking, please? I'll try to find the threads which I saw before...

ETA: This is the thread that I was thinking of :)

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 pm

purple_vixen wrote:Some antibiotics cam also cause broken teeth and tooth loss :(

Can you remind us what Ollie has been taking, please? I'll try to find the threads which I saw before...

ETA: This is the thread that I was thinking of :)

Vix.

He is on noroclav I think but it is the exact same as synulox. His bottom teeth are weird. :( one of the teeth is like moving behind the other. I guess this is just the way it's growing. He is off to the vet tomorrow to get it sorted. He is still eating solid food, but slowly. But we are feeding him primarily on food we've made for him at the moment to make sure he doesn't lose anymore weight.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Okay. So I have a feeling that the Noroclav is causing these problems? His teeth have broken again. They are 40mg Amoxicillin and 10mg clavulanic acid. I don't know what to do :-\

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Bump! Any advice would be great. I've taken him off the noroclav now and he is just having Baytril. Should I order some calcium vitamins from the rat warehouse?

Could it be the noroclav? The thread you linked is about ronaxan, but one of the people with the problem was also on synulox (which is the same thing as the noroclav, right?)?

I'm also waiting for a call back from the vet to discuss options!

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Have you had your callback from the vet? I would ask the vet if they have come across this before...

I have never had a rat with this problem, I am afraid, so all that I knew was in that link :( Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows more.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:26 pm

purple_vixen wrote:Have you had your callback from the vet? I would ask the vet if they have come across this before...

I have never had a rat with this problem, I am afraid, so all that I knew was in that link :( Hopefully someone will be along soon who knows more.

Vix.

Okay, so the vet has suggested that I take Ollie of the Noroclav and keep him on the Baytril. At the very least, Ollie will need his teeth clipping anyway. I'm just a bit annoyed now! because it cost us over £100 on Tuesday to have his teeth clipped (including transport, the noroclav and stuff!) and it turned out it wasn't that he was eating off balance. That was the last of our vet fund which means we are now having to go into our living money :( Oh well, well has to be done...

At the moment he is just enjoying being spoilt with loads of yummy food!

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:39 am

Bless him :) Do give him a cuddle from me...

Vix.

Return to “Health”