Why does it always happen when the vets are shut????

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Purepsycho

Why does it always happen when the vets are shut????

Post by Purepsycho » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

We've been working on intros with our boys for the last few months.
We've managed to successfully intro the calmer older boys with the new young ones, and the 2 grumps Toby and Kiba have been living together and being intro'd as often as poss.
We've been working on getting them playing happily together during freerange and this last week we thought we'd cracked it. On Friday and Saturdays free range they all ended up snuggled together under a pair of my old shorts on the bed which was great! So on Sundays cage clean out we decided to put them all together.

All was fine, they'd all settled nicely on the bed again, and the cage got a full cleanout and rearrange and then they were all popped inside.
They were in the cage for about 2 hours with a few foofing and scuffles. I saw the 2 grumps occupying the 2 hammocks and the rest had settled down everywhere else, giving them a bit of a wide birth, things were looking good.
I was making dinner by this point and David my OH checked in on them and I heard 'Oh my good god!'
I rushed in to find him taking Kiba out with blood pouring from his eye! It was an awful awful sight.

We tried to clean him up a bit to try to assess how bad it was and gave him a dose of Metacam for the pain, but the blood just didn't seem to be stopping so we decided to get him to the local emergency vets in Farnham.

Davids mum lives in Farnham so we headed over there to drop the dogs off while we went to take Kiba in.
The vet nurse who let us in told us he wasn't keen on rats, but as soon as he took a look at Kiba he said 'oh god' picked him up and rushed him out the back to be looked at (and shouted out for help on the way as Kiba tried calling up his arm lol bless him)

We went back to Davids mums (and kept her up till 2am) whilst we waited for Kiba to be operated on and his eye to be stitched up.
We got a call about 01.30am from the vet who told us the op was successful and amazingly Kibas eye was absolutely fine! The bite had gone through his eyelid which was what was bleeding and covering his actual eye with blood.
We were overjoyed his eye was fine, I was feeling so guilty and sick that it had happened.
We picked him up and took him home with Toby (who had come along to keep him company) and he slept off the anaesetic.
Today he has been fine and looks like nothing even happened to him! :love:

We're now £215 poorer, but wouldn't have it any other way! Thank god for OOH's vets!
(Although I have to say I think we've been lucky as this was the first time we've had to use the OOH's vets in 6 years of rat keeping!)
Shelley; DW Fozzy Joker Badger Tricky Baileys Jack Billy Roland Sirius Orion Perseus Sorrel Teasel Ash & Rowan. The girls: Minuit Rosie Pippin Tog Pogle & Fenn - And all my many many loved furries at the bridge, never forgotten in our hearts xx

Nicky
Admin Aide

Re: Why does it always happen when the vets are shut????

Post by Nicky » Mon May 07, 2012 9:15 pm

wow what a good vet, how fabulous that the eye wasnt damaged, that must have been such precise surgery
Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

Purepsycho

Post by Purepsycho » Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Nicky wrote:wow what a good vet, how fabulous that the eye wasnt damaged, that must have been such precise surgery
Yes thats what we thought, one hell of a steady hand she had!
Apart from a little teeny stitch on his eyelid you wouldn't know anything had happened to him!
Shelley; DW Fozzy Joker Badger Tricky Baileys Jack Billy Roland Sirius Orion Perseus Sorrel Teasel Ash & Rowan. The girls: Minuit Rosie Pippin Tog Pogle & Fenn - And all my many many loved furries at the bridge, never forgotten in our hearts xx

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 07, 2012 11:48 pm

So glad to hear it was a happy outcome! But seeing how much it costs really gets me annoyed, because some people wouldn't be able to afford that and it is the animal that suffers :( But really glad your boy is okay!!
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

Linda

Post by Linda » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 am

So glad Kiba is on the mend. It always happens to me when the vet is shut too!!
I can never "afford" the bills,,lol,,but my vet is brilliant. He keeps costs down for me (I have learned that it's at each vet's discretion how much to charge for their time/expertise) and is always happy to let me pay off large bills bit by bit. He also loves rats and is really good with them.
Linda Hall
Nothing to see here!

Purepsycho

Post by Purepsycho » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks everyone, we're just so relieved hes ok now too.
Unfortunately we couldn't really afford it, the money we used was for my new back tyre on my motorbike which we've been saving for a while :? Oh well such is life!

They told us it was £105 consultation fee, so it was £110 for the actual op! We were expecting it to be a bit more than that not having used them before, but to be honest they were so wonderful with him (and us) that it (almost) didn't matter to us how much it cost!
They did give us a big 10 ml bottle of baytril with it which was wonderful of them as we've just run out and have a few sniffles going round atm, so thats helped!

Altho i have to admit once they told us it was his eyelid and not his eye and we'd picked him up and seen he was pretty much back to normal we were like - 'hmm, could we have saved ourselves £215 there??' lol :D

annc

Post by annc » Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 am

I'm so glad Kiba is OK now, but it must have been very scary for you and him, not to mention the cost.

My liittle old girl, Dika, deteriorated quickly last night and, had the vet been open, I would have taken her for PTS. She was clearly distressed, shaking her head, continually washing and unable to stay still. I gave her some Metacam and rang the emergency vet about using a tiny dose of a human medication to quiet her. She is resting a little at present, but startles at the slightest sound. I couldn't book her in until this afternoon. Fortunately the vets know and trust me.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Lilcurly

Post by Lilcurly » Wed May 09, 2012 7:35 pm

I was constantly at the emergency vets with my girls, usually with their resp really bad. It was always £100 consultation fee, which I think is disgusting, as they know people will pay it in that situation. I think I ended up paying the emergency fee at least 7 times that I recall :? But hey ho, I'd pay it all again & then some.

I'm glad your boy's ok, I put my girls in together after careful intro's only to find Poppy with bites all over her. They weren't bleeding much & that was distressing enough, so I can imagine finding him with blood pouring from his eye was pretty scary! *scritches for him*
Gone to the bridge: Looby, Poppy, Amber, Milly-bean, Izzy, Tink, Hatty, Willow, Tiggy & Penny <3
Rest in peace beautiful girls, I miss you x x x x x x x x x x

Return to “Health”