Very tiny rats - anything to worry about?

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
Miss Aislin

Very tiny rats - anything to worry about?

Post by Miss Aislin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Hello, so today I had to weigh one of my girls (Indie) to work out a dosage, it was NOT easy weighing her and I have the claw marks to prove it, she weighed in at a pathetic 230g, out of interest I weighed my other girl (her sister) Cate as she's considerably smaller. She weighs in at a teeny tiny 185g

An average female rat is about 250-450g, right? My largest girl (recently departed) was over 500g (all of them on the same diet) and I have 3 others all of reasonable weight (I've not actually weighed them, but I know they're lighter than Lucy and heavier than Cate, Yoshimi was very small until she got to a bit over a year and suddenly she stayed small but got round..)

Indie and Cate are 13 months old tomorrow, they eat healthily and are very active - should I be concerned with their low-weight or is it just one of those things? (They are from a large litter, born in a rescue to two pet shop rats).
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.
RIP to the many at the bridge xx

HybridHaylee

Re: Very tiny rats - anything to worry about?

Post by HybridHaylee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Do they look or feel underweight? If no I wouldn't worry about it all rats are different and all have different weights that there body thinks is a normal size for them.
|Haylee Newton- Hybrid Photography|
Climbing Frame to three Zephyrs - Zazu, Ryu and Akiyo (Aki) and Rusty the Tarantula

Formerly known as hayley05 - "Would like to state I am not lazy, I am just Energy Efficent"

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

They're very small girls in general, small noses, paws, tails and toeses! They look in proportion (they don't look starved or anything). I think I just managed to get teensy girls! They look (and act) a bit like kittens who never really grew up.
Mummy to: Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, Sugar Coated Accident, Violet Hill and Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 pm

My rats from dodgy backgrounds are significantly smaller than my others. For example, one girl is 2 and a half and still only weighs roughly 230g. Her body condition is excellent, tail is nice and round, she's just overall smaller than the others.

As long as yours are overall healthy, I wouldn't worry. You don't want to worry about getting them up to 300g if that means they're going to be obese :)
Emily. Happily owned by Jezebel and Isis. :hearts:
With pieces of my heart, my princesses Giselle, Ruby, Lily, Layla, Whiskers, Lacey, Tia, Ebony and Eden. :rattyrainbow:
http://ratrhapsody.weebly.com/

Miss Aislin

Post by Miss Aislin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Thank you! Very helpful, just me being paranoid again then. They are rather cute in theit titchiness!

Return to “Physique”