Random Question about tails....

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
jadie_99

Random Question about tails....

Post by jadie_99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi All,

Ive got a random question, what does a healthy rats tail look like? My 2 boys look like their tails are dirty but when I tried to clean them it didnt come off lol.

Thank you :-)
Mo, Bolt, Poe, Finn & Kylo

acapae_wolf

Re: Random Question about tails....

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:41 pm

What variety are the rats? On the whole light coloured rats have light coloured tails, dark coloured rats have dark coloured tails, and splodgy rats have splodgy tails. Also agouti-based rats (have ticking in the coat and a paler tummy) will have tails where the underside is also paler than the top.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:39 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:What variety are the rats? On the whole light coloured rats have light coloured tails, dark coloured rats have dark coloured tails, and splodgy rats have splodgy tails. Also agouti-based rats (have ticking in the coat and a paler tummy) will have tails where the underside is also paler than the top.
ah ok, Im not sure what variety they are, we adopted them at 16 months, they both are white, but 1 has a grey stripe down his back. Their tails are pink with light brown splodges on them. The all white has pink eyes and the white / grey stripe has black eyes but does look like there is some red in there as well. I was told that they are brothers but thats as much as I know.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:41 am

The light brown splodges will be muck :) very few rats bother to keep their tails clean, but if they are in clean conditions the muck doesn't usually cause an issue (although it does taste nasty when they slap their tails into your mouth :roll: ).

If you want to clean them - soak the tail in warm water with a little baby shampoo, then use a soft toothbrush or one of those green scourers to gently drag along the tail from bum to tip. Olive oil might also help to remove any stubborn patches.

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:31 pm

cyber ratty wrote:The light brown splodges will be muck :) very few rats bother to keep their tails clean, but if they are in clean conditions the muck doesn't usually cause an issue (although it does taste nasty when they slap their tails into your mouth :roll: ).

If you want to clean them - soak the tail in warm water with a little baby shampoo, then use a soft toothbrush or one of those green scourers to gently drag along the tail from bum to tip. Olive oil might also help to remove any stubborn patches.
haha thank you, I dont think I will bother cleaning them to be honest, its been a bit of a struggle getting them to trust us and I dont want to make them mad at me :lol: Thank you for the advice though and if they get any dirtier I might think about doing it :-)

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:41 am

If my rats' tails are looking a bit grim, I tend to wipe them over with a baby wipe (or few :P )

It's only ever an issue for me if I am showing (which I don't do any more), or if I am trying to show my landlord/friends/whatever/etc that rats are awesome and not dirty at all. Which fails as long as Dill does a widdle on someone :P
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:15 am

Philosophyfox wrote:If my rats' tails are looking a bit grim, I tend to wipe them over with a baby wipe (or few :P )

It's only ever an issue for me if I am showing (which I don't do any more), or if I am trying to show my landlord/friends/whatever/etc that rats are awesome and not dirty at all. Which fails as long as Dill does a widdle on someone :P
Butting in - But I love your rat name choices.
Four beautiful girls, Lady B, Meow (MaoMao), Miss Winnie & Jinx

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Philosophyfox wrote:If my rats' tails are looking a bit grim, I tend to wipe them over with a baby wipe (or few :P )

haha thank you, i dont think I will bother its not that bad, but I wasnt sure if I should be cleaning them. :-)

Return to “Physique”