Round Bellys but Square Tails

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
amy104

Round Bellys but Square Tails

Post by amy104 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:19 am

I adopted 2 boys yesterday and both are a little square tailed, one worse than the other, but they are also a little fat around the stomach area.

They were previously fed lab blocks but will be moved onto my own mix based on shunamite diet.

Should I do anything extra for them to improve condition?

Both boys were signed off as healthy by a vet prior to me rehoming them so I'm happy this is a diet issue rather than a health one.
Slave to a gorgeous little mischief: Remy, Mr Jingles, Templeton, Fievel, Milo, Spartacus, Crixus, Basil, Frisby, Mocha, Latte & Expresso.

acapae_wolf

Re: Round Bellys but Square Tails

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:31 am

If it's just a slight edge then a good diet should improve things a fair bit. It's often an indicator that protein/ fat levels haven't been suitable in the diet so far. This is why actively growing youngsters sometimes get an edge even if they're being looked after well - in that situation it's an indicator of a growth spurt. (Actually I prefer youngsters to have an edge every so often as it shows I'm not overfeeding them, as is often the case if a growing rat has a thick rope tail regardless.)

However actual square tail ("matchstick tail" often used informally to reduce confusion from the above) is very much a lingering sign of a bad diet as a baby and in the womb. There's not really anything you can really do about them, although they might improve a bit if there's also been recent diet issues on top.

How are their coats? I tend to look there rather than at tail shape alone to get a better idea of things like this :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

amy104

Post by amy104 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanks Beri, their coats are actually not great, one has also been barbered, which was why these two specifically came to me because they wanted this pair to go to a owner who loved them for being rats, not for their looks.

And its a slight edge, not matchstick.
Slave to a gorgeous little mischief: Remy, Mr Jingles, Templeton, Fievel, Milo, Spartacus, Crixus, Basil, Frisby, Mocha, Latte & Expresso.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:16 pm

If it's just an edge rather than a square tail I wouldn't worry too much. Good diet should sort it :)

eta - I made this thread earlier in the year about a buck with particularly bad coat condition. Some of the tips might help with these guys. But again, good diet should help really - just be aware that you'll have to wait for at least one full moult cycle before you see any changes.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=27356
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

amy104

Post by amy104 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:24 pm

You're a star thank you. :D

Return to “Physique”