Weight guide?

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
Naturenut

Weight guide?

Post by Naturenut » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:11 am

Hello

Is there a rough guide to a healthy weight as I have no idea what is 'normal' - hope it's not a 'how long is a piece of string question'.

Guess males and females differ too?

Don't want fatties!

Also, what are the age stages (baby, teen, adult, elderly) etc ?

Thank you xx
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

ElizabethW

Re: Weight guide?

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 am

Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Unfortunately it is one of those questions. It's a bit like people. I don't know if you saw the picture going round facebook a few weeks back where they photographed about 10 women all the same weight yet they all looked completely different. It's basically the same for rats. You need to go on condition and not numbers really.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:42 pm

I only really use numbers for comparing one rat to their own past. So if something feels a little off I'll weigh them and compare to recent weights - that sort of thing can help me catch health issues early, before things are more drastically symptomatic. I also find it interesting to look at growth patterns if I've had them from babies. Otherwise numbers don't really tell you anything about the health of your rat without condition info (look and feel) as well - and arguably condition tells you more anyway.

x-posted because I reworded it about 5 million times :lol:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I will weigh them in the first instance so that I have a baseline and then monitor regularly. They've obviously grown loads in the 3 months that we've had them. Will have a good read of the link too.

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Just had weigh in (rats...not me)

Wispa and Buttons weigh exactly the same at 253g. They are now 5 months old. Does this sound okay? I was quite surprised as I thought they were going to be about the 400g mark!

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:37 pm

As has been said, it's really more about general shape/condition etc than weight when comparing between individuals. If your rats come from a known line then their breeder should be able to give you an idea of what they'll typically weigh as they grow and as adults, but otherwise it's mostly an unknown, although pet-store origin/similar can be significantly smaller.

If it's at all helpful to illustrate: one of my adult pet-store origin does is now 290-300g and is bordering on the maximum I'd be happy for her to weigh; my current kittens (also does) were both just over 300g at their 5 month weigh in and have a bit of growing to do yet!
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm

In terms of the numbers themselves you can't really say anything good or bad with just that info. If they're from a responsible breeder then you could get in touch with them and ask what is usual for their line at that age. Indeed at that age regardless of origin they'll still have a lot of growing and filling out into their adult shape to do anyway. But otherwise as rat sizes vary so much, you don't have any form of comparison to other rats - see above about numbers being less important than the overall picture.

x-posted!
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Ok thanks again, I will use common sense!

I'll just be sensible re treats and chose low fat veg. We are scatter feeding anyway and the boyz get plenty of exercise.

Didn't think about contacting the breeder so will do that too.

:smile:

Return to “Physique”