Help with clipping claws..Rat just got stuck! pic

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
sammieanne111

Help with clipping claws..Rat just got stuck! pic

Post by sammieanne111 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:14 pm

I have 2 males with really long claws, They are Brothers with same mum... All my others don't have this problem, One got his claw stuck in a tube just now.. Poor thing I don't know how long he was stuck as I been out for the last few hours!.. He is not a happy Rattie...

I have never clipped claws and to be honest I think I would be to nervous to try.. I did get a file for small animals but can't keep him still enough and don't want to hurt him....

The 2 males I think will soon have problems with there front teeth. They seem to be bigger then the others, also the brothers are getting very large in general..xx

I don't know their Breed, Here a pic of one
[img]http://i1227.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]

Samantha :hearts:
"Life is not about how many breathes you take, but about the moments that take your breath away
Rattie Girls Millie, Mischeif & Speedy ❤ Rattie Boys, Bill, Ben Mr and Shady ❤ 4 fancy Mice, 2 Gerbils Jessie the Hamster.... R.I.P ✘✘Mollie&Dora✘✘

Catz

Re: Help with clipping claws..Rat just got stuck! pic

Post by Catz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Cutting nails can be scary so I dont blame you for avoiding it but if they are getting stuck on things then its gotta be done.
Do you have someone that can help hold them while you cut?
I usually have my OH wrap them in a towel so their face is covered and quickly snip them with a human Nail clippers. You've gotta be fast but its easy after the first few times.
I put a brick underneath their water bottles aswell so that wears them down while they drink.
What issues are they having with their teeth?
3 of my boys need their teeth clipped regulary because they grow in odd directions. I think it is genetic as they are all related. You might want to get them to the vets, it can be very painful if left unchecked.
*Ratless*
Rip Socrates, Cai, Loki, Eli, Newton, Sheldon, Sol, Riloh, Di Vinci, Pip, Squeek and Joey
1 German Shepherd (Rio) and 1 Glen of Imaal Terrier (Archer) and 1 ferret (Toki Wartooth) and 1 cat (Ike Crowly)

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm

If your really nervous about cutting them you can get trimmex which instantly stops the bleeding if you cut too close to the quick. Belive you me this is a good investment (that or flour if your really stuck) as the guilt is just awful if you cut too close as it will look like alot of blood and the rat will sqeak. It's one of the things that I lost the most sleep over! A silly to lose sleep over a little nail I know! But I couldn't help it. I had to use flour as I'm usually good at trimming nails and dont need trimmex but this one elderly rat yoinked his leg at the last minute (he always needed his trimmed regularly due to HLD) and he bled and bled, not very much but it looks like a lot! So I dropped his toes in flour and he enjoyed licking it off :lol:
Hello future self. This is a message from your past self. Now go make me a cup of coffee.

sammieanne111

Post by sammieanne111 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Catz wrote:Cutting nails can be scary so I dont blame you for avoiding it but if they are getting stuck on things then its gotta be done.
Do you have someone that can help hold them while you cut?
I usually have my OH wrap them in a towel so their face is covered and quickly snip them with a human Nail clippers. You've gotta be fast but its easy after the first few times.
I put a brick underneath their water bottles aswell so that wears them down while they drink.
What issues are they having with their teeth?
3 of my boys need their teeth clipped regulary because they grow in odd directions. I think it is genetic as they are all related. You might want to get them to the vets, it can be very painful if left unchecked.
Still not managed to clip the nails I don't think my hand will be steady enough!!. Looks like a trip to the Vet :(
the 2 brothers teeth are longer then my others one of them grinds them while sleeping. I am not sure if it's causing them any problems. Lets hope the teeth have stopped growing!. One weighs 535grams he is approx 8 months now ...
samantha :hearts:
"Life is not about how many breathes you take, but about the moments that take your breath away
Rattie Girls Millie, Mischeif & Speedy ❤ Rattie Boys, Bill, Ben Mr and Shady ❤ 4 fancy Mice, 2 Gerbils Jessie the Hamster.... R.I.P ✘✘Mollie&Dora✘✘

annc

Post by annc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 am

If you go to any shows you can usually get someone to do them for you. Lew is the fastest claw-clipper I've seen! If not, your vet will do it at a cost, with you holding it. However, there is a good thread on here on cutting claws when alone, and a good video by Acrorat Jules.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

sammieanne111

Post by sammieanne111 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:55 pm

annc wrote:If you go to any shows you can usually get someone to do them for you. Lew is the fastest claw-clipper I've seen! If not, your vet will do it at a cost, with you holding it. However, there is a good thread on here on cutting claws when alone, and a good video by Acrorat Jules.
Wish me luck, or perhaps it's better to wish Ben good luck lol..
just read thread ty :D
going to try and clip nails now..... :|

annc

Post by annc » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:43 pm

You can start with just the few longest first. He might squeak a bit.
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Kelski

Post by Kelski » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Good luck! I took my girls to the vet to get theirs done for the first time a couple of days ago, and they were actually quite well-behaved once I got a tight enough hold on them for the vet to do her thing. So I might try to do it myself next time with the OH holding them, or might just try to file the tips down - I have really sensitive skin and their scratches swell up and get really itchy on me, so just keeping the tips blunt might be enough. They seem to keep their front claws short themselves, which is handy!
Kelly // Dudley, Bracken & Flossie

sammieanne111

Post by sammieanne111 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 am

What am I like :)

Couldn't do it so I am going to have to take him to the Vet.... I Officially give up on trying to clip nails!! lol

blossomgirl
Admin Aide

Post by blossomgirl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:46 am

When we need claws clipped, I spread out the experience during free range. Every time a rat wanders near me, I grab him, clip one or 2 nails as quick as I can, and then let him wander away again. Takes a bit longer, but it keeps stres levels down.

As for the teeth - ratty teeth grow constantly. They should be pretty long at the front. As long as they are nice and straight, and aligned with the bottom teeth, they should be no problem at all. It's really only when they are misaligned, or growing skew that you have problems, and then the vet will have to trim or burr their teeth.
Proudly owned by Zane (Kirchner), Sam Vimes, Freddy Colon, Mortimer - Duke of Sto Helit, Cohen the Barbarian and Nijel the Destroyer.
Loved and sorely missed: Bryan, Os, John, Victor, Percy, Ricky, Toby, Ruan, Dorian, Gio, Vico and Friemel
http://www.ratrations.nl

Return to “Physique”