Lone Buck

Discussions relating to all aspects of rat behaviour, training, companionship, and introductions.
Jack89

Lone Buck

Post by Jack89 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a lone buck.

I am looking to be a first time owner, and I am currently on a few waiting lists with some registered breeders.

While picking up some bedding for my Robo hamster I came across a buck around 6 months old. He is currently being kept alone after the rest of his litter was sold and has been in the store a few weeks and I'm feeling a little sorry for his situation.

He is fairly tame and incredibly friendly, and I kind of fell in love after handling him, but I do have some tredipdation when it comes to rats in pet stores.

At 6 months would be possible to introduce him to say, a pair of young bucks from a breeder? Or should I just stay away?

I would appreciate your thoughts and any experiences.

Cheers.

Caza66

Re: Lone Buck

Post by Caza66 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:02 pm

I know a lot of people will have different views on this but I'm a sucker for a lone rat but I do have a gang to introduce them to. But in saying that, whilst you are waiting for you other rats you would be able to offer him more than the pet shop. Introducing a 6 month old to youngsters shouldn't be a problem, but every introduction is different. I know buying rats from pets shops is encouraging the breeding ethics from backyard breeders or rodent farms.

Good luck whatever you do.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Jack89

Post by Jack89 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks for your opinion. I would prefer not to buy from a shop and this one is actually not for sale, as such. It is looking to be homed by a pet charity, they just have a section within that store.

Moosenhagen

Post by Moosenhagen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:34 pm

If your talking about pets at home, the "rehome" center is normally where they put animals that haven't been sold to make room for new ones. Your still buying a pets at home rat, but with a bit of the money going to a charity.

Jack89

Post by Jack89 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:44 pm

It is yeah.

I know I really shouldn't get animals from there, but he's been there ages now and on his own and it's killing me thinking he'll be there longer will no company or toys etc.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm

I know that they do also take in rats that other people can no longer look after for whatever reason, so it may not be a p@h stock. They should be able to tell you a little but about him.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Behaviour”