New rat mommy. my girls seem scared!

Discussions relating to all aspects of rat behaviour, training, companionship, and introductions.
sara

New rat mommy. my girls seem scared!

Post by sara » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi guys,
I have recently had two girls off a friend who didn't have time to handle them enough.

They both seem healthy but seem scared of me and my partner.
We are opening their cage at the front every evening and they will approach us, sometimes have a nibble and run away again.

We don't want to just get them out as it may scare them more and are trying to tempt them nearer to us with blueberries and grapes :D
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Sara.

Caza66

Re: New rat mommy. my girls seem scared!

Post by Caza66 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi and welcome. Couple of tricks. First of all take out all the houses and hidey holes so they get more used to regular goings on. Second, take them out of their cage for some free range time on the sofa, wear a dressing gown or a hoody so they can snuggle up with you and get used to your smells, not that you smell of course. :lol:

Also, trying tempting them with yoghurt on a spoon so they can't run off with the food.

Don't forget to post some photos, we love to see new ratties.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

sara

Post by sara » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks, that's great! Will try the yoghurt tomorrow (guessing its standard natural yoghurt) they've only really got one hidey hole at the momet that's their sneakily arranged hammock! Will have to work out technology and get some pics for you, they're gorgeous!
:D

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:36 pm

How are things going? :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

sara

Post by sara » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Going really well with artois, she's taken to my bathrobe as a play tunnel ☺
Stella is still vert skittish but letting us stroke her sometimes so had some brilliant progress!
Just about to start playtime!

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:45 pm

Love the names :lol: Great news that things are going well, it's lovely when their personalities start coming through as they get more confident :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Return to “Behaviour”