Intros 2x 2 year olds and 3 X 12 weeks old

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
jadie_99

Intros 2x 2 year olds and 3 X 12 weeks old

Post by jadie_99 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Hi all, I'm looking to do my first ever intro with my boys and was thinking of doing the carrier method. At the moment they are in the same room cages next to each other and there hasn't been any funny reactions to each other yet. But I just wanted opinions. Do I just pop them all in the carrier together and keep an eye on them for blood??? Thank you :-) I've found the carrier method on here and have read through it so assuming that's the way to do it.

Thanks all :-) in so nervous about it haha
Mo, Bolt, Poe, Finn & Kylo

Caza66

Re: Intros 2x 2 year olds and 3 X 12 weeks old

Post by Caza66 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 pm

If you have a particular alpha but them in first. Carrier method works every time for me. Good luck.
My current gang :hearts: Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 am

Caza66 wrote:If you have a particular alpha but them in first. Carrier method works every time for me. Good luck.
Thank you. We don't have an alpha as such so I'm going to just pop them all in and see what happens! Thanks for the reply :-)

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:50 am

Hope all goes well for you :luck:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:48 pm

This was taken 5 minutes in!
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/jadie_9/library/

Not too bad at the moment.

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Ive just checked them and 1 of the new babies has a bite on the side of his bum and it looks like its swollen up. They are all asleep at the moment so Ive cleaned it with salt water. do I need to break them up?

I feel awful for the little guy :-(

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:35 pm

To a degree, I think it depends on how bad the wound is and whether it looks like it was deliberately inflicted or could have been accidentally done (baby trying to run away, grown-up accidentally snagged with a claw as they fled).

For context, this thread shows my recent experience - quite a nasty-looking wound (the second picture further down really shows it), but I was advised to keep them together since we thought it was accidental and their behaviour otherwise was very good. They're still having little scuffles, but all the wounds have looked accidental (I actually witnessed one that was definitely the baby's fault), and they've managed to reach the "large cage with one shelf" stage :D

Are they looking okay together again now?
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Thank you I read through yours and showed OH the pic, the wound is tiny compared to yours, but mine little one is definitely swollen loads. I think he was annoying the bigger one and so he bit him. He was desperate to be near him constantly! they are all fine now asleep in the carrier. Ive kept them together. We are just going to have to keep an eye on them I think and keep them in the carrier over night. Im not sure how long to leave them in there though?

My other boy bolt has instantly taken to the babies and separated them from mr grumpy so thats good. but at the moment they are all squished together.

Apart from that 1 bite thats happened, nothing else has! no fights and no boxing or anything! Its so strange!

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Photo of them now

The big fat white one in the middle is Mo (the biter!) then there is the black one, then the other little white one next to the black one and on Mo's face is the one with the bite.

We did put them into a bigger cage as everything was going well so thats more than likely why it happened.

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:28 pm

Sardines !!

Good luck :luck: they look gorgeous !
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks all.

No one has commented on how long they need to be in there for, so they are going to stay in the carrier until tomorrow evening, even though I feel so bad for the babies as they loved their wheel!

I'm going to keep an eye on the baby with the bite and if it looks like a trip to the vets is in order then they will go on Tuesday.

Tomorrow evening we will pop them into the bigger cage again and see how they are.

I'll post some more pics tomorrow, and a pic of the little ones lump :-(

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Tomorrow evening sounds fine, assuming they keep the peace :) I know it feels horribly unfair on them all, but doing it slowly is better in the long run, and it's only temporary! Hopefully you'll have better luck next time :luck:

What size cage are you planning to move them into after the carrier? I assume you already know, but to be safe: you want to increase the space as slowly as possible, especially if there's been issues - my boys have gone from carrier, to hamster cage, to a Critter 1, (back to the hamster cage, then back to the critter :roll: ) then to their final cage - so four sizes, all told. Moving them up too quickly can cause territorial aggression, as can having extra bits in the cage - so no hammocks or toys until they all get along!

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:57 pm

I was going to pop them into the alaska hamster cage, then half of an aurora Rosewood 600 then the full size.

There is nothing in the alaska at the moment apart from newspaper. I know I feel so mean, poor poe had a bad eye when we bought him (he managed to scratch his eye as we was getting him!) and them Mo went and bit him!! They are still in the carrier and there has still been nothing apart from sleeping and eating. Im a bit worried that they are going to get in the bigger cage and kick off!

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:10 pm

jadie_99 wrote:I know I feel so mean, poor poe had a bad eye when we bought him (he managed to scratch his eye as we was getting him!) and them Mo went and bit him!! They are still in the carrier and there has still been nothing apart from sleeping and eating. Im a bit worried that they are going to get in the bigger cage and kick off!
I felt so bad for our boys too - went away from all their brothers, into some tiny little cage with two much bigger boys, one of who kept beating them up and giving them cuts. They must have wondered what they did wrong! :cry:

I think the hardest bit is judging how much fighting to let them have - striking the balance between "let them sort it out" and "don't let the babies get hurt" is easy on paper, but really difficult when they're squealing and crying at you! :lol:

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:35 pm

A www I know! The problem is that there are no squeaks, fighting or anything! Just some grooming! All they have done today is sleep! They are currently with me as I'm in bed. They are next to me in the floor in a pile. Hopefully tomorrow evening they will behave themselves and they can go into the next cage and have some space :-) xx

Return to “Behaviour”