Explorer and SRS Owners

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

Which part of the cage do your rats prefer?

Top- bucks
42%
Top- does
52%
Bottom- bucks
6%
Bottom- does
No votes

Total votes: 31

ami_j

Explorer and SRS Owners

Post by ami_j » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Just out of interest really, after watching my rats in their explorer...Which bit of the cage do your rats prefer to spend the most time in? and are they bucks or does? No reason other than curiosity for asking :)
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

Helzie
Admin Aide

Re: Explorer and SRS Owners

Post by Helzie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:34 pm

My boys migrate up and down - top at night, bottom in the day. The bottom half is darker as its between furniture and a wall so think that might have something to do with it. Also, food was largely at the bottom. I think they know the top is where they're likely to get more interaction with Hoomans too, so they'd be up there when we were around.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:38 pm

My lot don't really have preferences but if I had to choose I would say girls in the top and boys at the bottom is more common.
Rhiannon with Fizz and Inga.

Formerly Rhi01.

heartrats

Post by heartrats » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm

We have an SRS for the girls and an Explorer for the boys. The boys rarely venture north in their Explorer, prefering to laze about in the bottom, the top is basically a complete waste of space :roll: . As for the SRS, the girls never ever went into the bottom half, prefering instead to laze around and pee in the top half. Totally the opposite to the boys and just as irritating having a huge cage when they'll only use half of it (no matter how exciting we make the other part - only food will entice them, lazy lot).

Nina

Post by Nina » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm

I've got 2 groups of bucks and they all prefer the top but that could be as that's where the comfy hammocks are, I'm mean though and put their food at the bottom so they have to move around :lol:
Slave to Spurs, Harry, Dex, Marley, Tommy, Luka, Stevie, Logan, Bertie, Seth and Yuushi
RIP Jammy, Albie, Shilo, Niko, Milo, Loki, Jalen and all those lost before

redrach

Post by redrach » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:07 pm

I have does in the top half and males in the bottom half, but I said top for both because all of them prefer to be in hammocks/beds at the very top of each cage. They all rarely sleep in beds lower down or on the floor.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm

The old ladies tend to spend more time at the bottom snoozing. The littlies spend more time at the top but will spend more time at the bottom if the wheel is there.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Um what if they don't have a preference lol? My cage is fully open and the lads spend as much time up top as they do at the bottom, or are you meaning for people who have the middle in? The top is more geared towards sleep (hammock + sputnik are always attached to the roof) and the bottoms more active :)
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

skidadle

Post by skidadle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

I still have the middle in mine so have hammocks and sputniks in both halves and while they do use the whole cage, they do all seem to prefer to be in the top half xx

Faun

Post by Faun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm

When I had the middle in, my rats spent most of their time in the top section. Back then I usually put beds in the top half and food at the bottom, which may have had something to do with it.

But I no longer use the middle level, and have also changed the way I do layouts - they are now a network of ropes/perches/baskets/hanging ladders etc with food hidden all over, and only 1 or 2 dedicated sleeping places. And nowadays my boys don't have a preference for any one bit of the cage. They sometimes become attached to a particular hammock or basket for sleeping in, but mostly they use the whole cage fairly equally, foraging and bouncing all over, and sleeping in various random places.

I don't know how much this behaviour is influenced by cage layout, and how much is just down to the preferences of individual ratties though :geek:
Emily and Topher, the dogbeast.
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze, Jamie, Tumnus, Bailey, Finn, Jayne, Simon.

Yamazumi

Post by Yamazumi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

My boys spend most of their time at the top, that's where their hammocks are and most of their furniture. I think they like being at that height though, it's means they're almost on the same level as me.

They usually only go to the bottom of the cage to search for their dry food, although I have a hammock hung at half way this week and they seem to like sleeping in it... they won't usually go in a hammock unless it's at the top!
Chaplin & Arthur the buns, Rory the Labrador

ktloop

Post by ktloop » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:23 pm

my boys showed preference to the top half so now they have all their sputniks , hamocks and food up there and ropes , winerack , swings etc in the bottom , like their own basement playground .. they go down there in the evenings for a play !!
:love: Moshi , :baby: Beltane Sully Blue & :baby: Betane Eggnoggin the nog :)
:rattyrainbow: Beltane Mr Nobody :rattyrainbow: Beltane Guiness and Black :rattyrainbow: Iggle Piggle

Return to “Habitat”