What do you look for in rat hammocks?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

What is the most important think you look at when buying hammocks?

Price
35%
Material Choice
34%
Website
4%
Pictures
13%
Loyalty
6%
Other, please comment below
8%

Total votes: 154

lamb

Re: What do you look for in rat hammocks?

Post by lamb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I like hammocks my rats look cute in :hearts: :oops:

On a serious note I tend to get special orders because I have a lot of rats and like thing a bit bigger than standard. I also have had cubes made for rats with HLD which have been made super quick for emergencies (which was very much appreciated :D ) I like the personal touches like when my special cube for Dexter was made and it had his name on the parcel :hearts: I have still got the lable. Donating a percentage of profits to charity is a factor too.
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

Nina

Post by Nina » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm

I've put other as my main priority is ones that make the most of the space in the cage, don't leave long drops and are easy to put in and arrange eg I like low hanging hammocks for the middle space in the SRS. I've got feet issues so arranging the cage quickly as possible is important to me.
After that is price and material.
If everything else is the same I tend to buy from the same places
Slave to Spurs, Harry, Dex, Marley, Tommy, Luka, Stevie, Logan, Bertie, Seth and Yuushi
RIP Jammy, Albie, Shilo, Niko, Milo, Loki, Jalen and all those lost before

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 pm

ellis wrote:As long as the quality is good, I find myself strangely concerned about the material! Lots of hammocks seem to be pink, flowery or otherwise too girly for my tastes, and while I don't mind camo I'd rather have a bit more variety in hammock material.
Good Point, I fallen into this trap a bit and am trying to give more variety. I think personal taste influences us a bit too much, I'm sure if I loved more boyish materials I would end up having the opposite problem!
HannahF wrote:I think if your ordering custom made ones then one of the biggest things is what the person's like themselves, people are almost guaranteed to get repeat business from me if their products good and they're friendly.
This makes sense, something you're more likely to get with smaller businesses :)

Thank you for all the comments and votes! Im reading and taking not of them all :D
From Rowan, Biscuit & Toast (Ratties) Bagel & Loki (Kitties!) ~Missing all 11 of my past ratlings :(
RatPad Hammocks - Awesome, funky, handmade hammocks starting from £3.50!
RatPads Facebook Page

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 am

Price is important as well as quality but I also like innovative products that make interesting use of space. I also like well co-ordinating fabrics; I can't stand it when they clash!
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Adia_Rose

Post by Adia_Rose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am

Is it bad that I never buy them, I just make my own out of cheap fleecey material, old clothes, old towels...at the moment the cage has hammocks and levels made from an old sofa cover!

It's brilliant, I can make them any size, put fluffier ones in when it's cold and thinner ones in when it's warm and it doesn't matter how quickly they are destroyed because they were free and going to be thrown away anyway!

Should I be buying them better ones? :?

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 am

Adia_Rose wrote:Is it bad that I never buy them, I just make my own out of cheap fleecey material, old clothes, old towels...at the moment the cage has hammocks and levels made from an old sofa cover!

It's brilliant, I can make them any size, put fluffier ones in when it's cold and thinner ones in when it's warm and it doesn't matter how quickly they are destroyed because they were free and going to be thrown away anyway!

Of course! :twisted:

Nah loads of people make their own hammocks and it certainly isn't bad that you dont buy them!
From Rowan, Biscuit & Toast (Ratties) Bagel & Loki (Kitties!) ~Missing all 11 of my past ratlings :(
RatPads Facebook Page

Adia_Rose

Post by Adia_Rose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:25 am

RetroLemons wrote:
Of course! :twisted:

Nah loads of people make their own hammocks and it certainly isn't bad that you dont buy them!
HA! Evil hammock dictators of FR!!!!

Glad that I'm not the only one to make my own...they don't exactly look classy...the cage often looks like a mish mash of materials that would be better suited to the decor of a nursing home (and not a good one!!!) But the ratties don't seem to care what they look like! If they can be snuggled in and peed on then they seem to be a hit!

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am

My husband's old t-shirts....

But if I am buying then manufacture quality, value for money (as they will get eaten), and a range of sizes - I have 6 rats who want to sleep in a heap, and a cage with a minimum diameter of 60 cm, so small hammocks / cubes etc don't cut it.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:00 am

So some of the points I've gathered;

A wider range of fabric choice that doesn't just include girly fabrics
Different designs that use cage space well are good
More explorer/srs size hammocks to stop long cage drops (this is something I'm working on ;) )
Different sizes of hammocks (Again something I had been working on after noticing I was getting stuck in a rut!)

This is fantastic, again thank you for taking the time to answer :love:
RatPads Facebook Page

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 am

Hammocks that you can hang further down the cage, and not just from the roof are good too. And not necessarily ones that stretch from front to back, because if you have big doors you still can't attach things to them. Even in my Samo 82 I find it hard working out hammock positions because of doors, so larger triangle/corner things are handy, but big enough for multiple ratties to crash out on.
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am

Sorry for not expanding on my general 'design' point like everyone else has :lol: :P I just meant was what influences my purchasing, rather than thinking you were looking for specific ideas for products.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

Philosophyfox wrote:Hammocks that you can hang further down the cage, and not just from the roof are good too. And not necessarily ones that stretch from front to back, because if you have big doors you still can't attach things to them. Even in my Samo 82 I find it hard working out hammock positions because of doors, so larger triangle/corner things are handy, but big enough for multiple ratties to crash out on.
I'll have a think about designs that aren't already out there, it's time I kicked in my creative head and stopped using general designs :lol:
acapae_wolf wrote:Sorry for not expanding on my general 'design' point like everyone else has :lol: :P
I'm disappointed Beri, I really am ;) :lol:
RatPads Facebook Page

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 am

Adia_Rose wrote:Is it bad that I never buy them, I just make my own out of cheap fleecey material, old clothes, old towels...at the moment the cage has hammocks and levels made from an old sofa cover!

I make my own standard hammocks as it's much more cost effective, but things like cubes I tend to buy as I don't have the time or patience to make them.

I think hammocks designed for specific cages would be cool, as a furet plus modded tower owner I make mine deep enough for the cage (top opening means I don't hang things from the top) and make tie tabs for corner ones as the slidy corner supports mean that most clips don't fit round them. Not such an issue for SRS and explorer owners but something to think about maybe?

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 am

NellyNoodle wrote:I make my own standard hammocks as it's much more cost effective, but things like cubes I tend to buy as I don't have the time or patience to make them.

I think hammocks designed for specific cages would be cool, as a furet plus modded tower owner I make mine deep enough for the cage (top opening means I don't hang things from the top) and make tie tabs for corner ones as the slidy corner supports mean that most clips don't fit round them. Not such an issue for SRS and explorer owners but something to think about maybe?
That sounds like it's more to do with the hangers used than anything else, the chin clips (pear clips) are okay with it I believe :) Corner hammocks tend to need the support of the back hanger, so I can't see a design around that I'm afraid. Unless I missing your meaning!
RatPads Facebook Page

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:27 am

I struggle even with pear clips but have tried, but find you can get the hammock in more snug against the corner with ties. I'm not really your target market as I make my own though lol. I'm also lucky that my lot don't chew tabs, though I am going to start experimenting with eyelets.

Return to “Habitat”