Best bedding to.use?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

Best bedding..

Poll ended at Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Carefresh
3%
Sawdust shavings
6%
newspaper
3%
hay
No votes
straw
No votes
carboard shredded
88%

Total votes: 34

HybridHaylee

Re: Best bedding to.use?

Post by HybridHaylee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Bedding/ nesting material or substrate/ floor litter? I'd go with cardboard etc. for the floor, but things like hay, straw and newspaper can be excellent additions as specific nesting material :)
I thought straw was forbidden? Years ago i got told that it would poke them in the eye and create problems.. and its dusty ..
|Haylee Newton- Hybrid Photography|
Climbing Frame to three Zephyrs - Zazu, Ryu and Akiyo (Aki) and Rusty the Tarantula

Formerly known as hayley05 - "Would like to state I am not lazy, I am just Energy Efficent"

polishrose

Post by polishrose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 am

I use megazorb-is that the same as carefresh?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

HybridHaylee wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:Bedding/ nesting material or substrate/ floor litter? I'd go with cardboard etc. for the floor, but things like hay, straw and newspaper can be excellent additions as specific nesting material :)
I thought straw was forbidden? Years ago i got told that it would poke them in the eye and create problems.. and its dusty ..
Only low quality hay and straw is dusty, good quality stuff isn't. And personally the eye thing I take with a bucket of salt - rats could poke their eyes on allsorts they come into contact with daily and don't. I also don't see why a rat is more likely to poke their eye than a degu/ chinchilla/ rabbit/ cavy/ anything else where a large portion of the diet should be hay. I think the positives far outweigh the small risks. Of course other people may look at things differently :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Habitat”