How long do you free range your rats for?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

~30 mins
12%
~1hr
26%
1-2hrs
32%
2-4hrs
15%
4hrs plus
11%
Uncaged
3%

Total votes: 65

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Following on from Sian's poll, just wondering on average about length of free range. Woody may not think it worth looking at the difference between people, but even just looking at my own current/ past routines, I've had a lot of variation. Mostly dependent on living situation rather than anything else. Plus I'm intruiged now :)

So, how long do your rats (or each group of rats come out for when they're free ranging? On average/ the majority of the time - of course allowing for variation between days/ groups.

Currently mine get 1-2hrs each day. I only have one group of rats, which means they get most of my 'time for pets' time. If they are coming out for less, it's probably because Freda (who free ranges before them) has been out for longer than usual.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Muskrat

Re: How long do you free range your rats for?

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I put 2-4 hours, but I don't actually keep track. It's probably something like 2 hours most days.. maybe 3+ once or twice a week? Everyone but Esme and Boo gets extra 'cause they free range with Tomten some days too.. and this will hopefully increase now they're comfortable around each other.
Sian and Emmie, Moss and Jessie.
Missing ratties Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs, Blunderbus, Boojum, Jacques, Esme, Minnow, Poot, Tomten, Oak, Ptarmigan and Burdock.
"all small beasts should have bows in their tails"

beeratz

Post by beeratz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:42 am

With me having a broken hip I'm with my boys pretty much all day every day so they can kinda come and go as they please but as a general rule they have round about an hour in the morning ( usually terrorising me while I'm still in bed lol ) and then another hour, sometimes two in the evenings.
Bobby and Crowley the supernatural boys, plus girlies Nyx, Asteria, Chloe, Calypso and Freyja :hearts:

My Angels that had to leave :rattyrainbow: - I love you all :love:

Flox

Post by Flox » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am

For the last few months, since my group got split and I got two fosters (3 groups) it's been about half an hour to 45 minutes. Just recently I got them all together and I've had the absolute pleasure of being able to spend a load of time with them all at once - so the time has gone up somewhat, but since intros were fairly recent they're all now debating the ownership of the wider bedroom space and I tend to shake their food at them when they're getting a bit too angsty, so it's still not that long :( Hopefully they'll calm down and it'll stretch.

When I had them separate, their time out was decided by 1) how much time I had to split between them and 2) how long they looked like they wanted to be out for. The older boys used to run for about 20 minutes and then settle down. The younger boys could have pootled about all night. The girls got fed as soon as they rediscovered the floor and how to get there (they have the whole room now they have other rats to encourage them to come back, but I'd never have caught them if they'd got on the floor by themselves). But generally I'd try to find a balance between enforced "you will have fun now!" and giving in because they're falling asleep in the cage with one hungry, accusing eye focused on me :)
Rat Riot - jewellery, ornaments and pretty things with a distinctly ratty flavour

Thanks to Smudge, Mousey & Titch, Ed & Small, Daisy, Porte & Fenetre, Spud, Brutus, Cinny, Vincent Julien, Vari, Iorek, Troos, Bootle, Podrick, Big Squee & Tiny Squee

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:50 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Woody may not think it worth looking at the difference between people,
I think that was unnecessary.

My rats stay out for as long as they like really, one group in particular puts themselves to bed after about an hour.
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:52 am

HansMischief wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:Woody may not think it worth looking at the difference between people,
I think that was unnecessary.
I wasn't being rude, just following on from the previous poll - rather than taking that discussion OT. Different people have different interests; it's what makes people and discussions interesting.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:52 pm

4+ hours often more like 6-8 though, I'd say they have atleast 4 hours of active free range every day. They're lovely svelte boys and I think the amount of free range they have has a lot to do with that.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:10 pm

They tend to come out for between 4-6 hours for at least three times a week. I leave the doors of the cage open with a ladder for them to go back if they want.
Rhiannon with Fizz and Inga.

Formerly Rhi01.

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:49 pm

I didn`t know what to put really as mine can come out when they like as I am home all the time...so I put 2-4 hours . If I take them into the shower room then it would probably be 1 hour but the cage is in my office and if they want to come out on to my lap, shoulder or run around , they just do.

I just close the door as I have three Jack Russells running around the rest of the house but the dogs know they are not allowed into my office and I have a doggy gate up anyway. :D
:hearts: Sam, Millie, Cassie, Florence, Dudley, Mumfie. :hearts:

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:06 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Woody may not think it worth looking at the difference between people
Huh? I didn't say that. I am always interested in the difference between people, that is what life is all about. I was just seeking clarification on the poll as presented, as I generally consider 'full free range' to be uncaged all the time, but that is not what was meant in the poll.

I actually said I wasn't interested enough for my own purposes to create a poll to ask, especially as polls are notoriously unreliable enough and don't really tell you very much.
Woody
Formerly known as Woody
Not posting in an official capacity for http://www.ratwarehouse.com

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:08 pm

But beyond that - 1.5-2 hours every night. Unless we are away, which is not often.
Woody
Formerly known as Woody
Not posting in an official capacity for http://www.ratwarehouse.com

cookiemistress

Post by cookiemistress » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 pm

I HAD to put uncaged as my 2 younger boys can still get through the bars and one is soo stupid that he cant figure out how to get back inside :lol: They ususally come and play on me for roughly 30 mins to 1 hour then they go to sleep.

iamhelen

Post by iamhelen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:44 pm

I get mine out for about an hour most nights, sometimes it's longer or shorter depending on how tired they are. The older girls tend to slow down after about 45 mins while Ruby and Gem are still running around like lunatics! I usually put them back when they start to look comfy and snuggle up to eachother.

I do worry that they get bored cause I free range in the bathroom and there isn't a alot of space so I try to do different things every week like change layout of toys, pea fishing, hiding treats, treat ball, digging box etc
Mum to Twix, Gem, Ruby and Noobie
Missing Touille, Ammy, Hazel and Ebony :halo:
Formally black_butterfly

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 pm

I've put about an hour, but now I have better free range facilities I think I'll be able to give them longer, hopefully at least 1.5hrs a night 8-)
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

redrach

Post by redrach » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 pm

I have 2 groups. They each get 30 mins a night, sometimes every other night. I used to have them out each an hour a night but now i'm back to uni and don't have as much time. I did compromise with them and get them an SRS so they have WAY more room than they used to and have very active layouts, scatter feeding boxes etc.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

Return to “Habitat”