Do your rats use their wheel?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

Do yours rats use a wheel?

Yes, all of them use it
16%
Some of them like to use it, some don't
61%
None of my rats run in a wheel
14%
I've never given my rats a wheel
5%
Other
4%

Total votes: 56

janegoben

Do your rats use their wheel?

Post by janegoben » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Added a poll to easily see the answers - hope that's ok ;)

I'm considering buying a wheel for my boys but I've read a lot of things about rats being disinterested. I got them as adults and as far as I know they've never had a wheel. I understand some are interested, some aren't, etc; I was just wondering whether you would recommend getting one to try out?

If it's likely they'll use it I'm more than happy to get them one, I just don't want to waste money if they ignore it. Also, what wheels would you recommend? Is the 12" silent spinner best? I use the smaller ones for my dwarf hamsters and they seem to last for a long time.

Thank you :)
Jane.
Argo and Pluto the ratties :love: Ossy, Ali, Indi and Rubi the hamsters :) Daisy the guinea pig :)
RIP Neo and Polo :rattyrainbow:

Cricket

Re: Do your rats use their wheel?

Post by Cricket » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 pm

When I had a group of five, four girls and a neutered boy they all used the wheel :)

I'm down to one boy, who is 30 months old and still uses it!
- Emma

HannahF

Post by HannahF » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:54 pm

I said other lol. Currently none of my rats use a wheel for its purpose, it's mainly a bed or toilet, however they have used it for its purpose a lot in the past. Half my group used the wheel a lot when they were younger but the younger 3 never have much/at all. I have always got one in there though and usually find everyone starts using it again when babies get added.
Hannah - Renegade Rats, breeding for Marten and Black
Truffle, Sven, Tyrion, Gendry, Jorah & Hodor
Carol, Michonne, Quaithe & Potatocake

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:23 pm

I put some do, some don't but it's only Jack that doesn't use it (well i have never seen him in it) seen Stitch get in for a little potter a few times :)
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:27 pm

I put some do too. I have 2 who're obsessed, some that like it, some that use it on occasion, and a couple who don't now they're adult. Both my groups usually have one in the cage, but the boys currently don't as Foxtrot (31 months) was losing weight by overusing it. They have access during free range instead.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

cazzie

Post by cazzie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm

None of my boys use their wheel. One boy doesn't like it, two boys just ignore it altogether and the forth... He does sit in it and will walk it a half turn on the odd occasion but none of them use it for it's intended purposes.
Ratless
Gone but never forgotten - Sheldon, Leonard, Marley, Howard & Raj <3

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:46 pm

I said other - The buck kittens I've had always enjoyed a wheel right up until about 14-16 weeks of ages and then they all promptly lost all interest in wheels (it became a secondary toilet facility :roll:)

Lazy, lazy bucks :roll:
Warning - May contain traces of cynicism

Kyra
Admin Aide

Post by Kyra » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:52 pm

I put some do, I have one group of girls who all use their wheel, one group of boys who like to use theirs as a litter tray and the third group who are quite elderly and the odd one has an amble in there sometimes, but not often. Usually though when they've had a wheel from being kittens mine seem to like them.

KattieRattie

Post by KattieRattie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I voted none of them use it because I don't think for the 5 seconds they might hop on counts as actual use.....does sleeping in it count? :lol:

They do tend to use it when their free range hasn't been very long, which is rare. Mostly by the time they have to go back to their cage they are so worn out running on a wheel doesn't appeal to them. I think they might use it more though if they didn't have so much time to run about free range, (my lads usually get about 4-5 hours a day on average).
K x
Benji, Oliver, Theo, Miles, Jackson, Toby, Robin, Thomas & Tinkerbell
http://www.youtube.com/squeakysmallpaws

sdigz

Post by sdigz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:24 pm

All 3 of my girls love their wheel. Sometimes all 3 are on it at the same time.

Its a silent spinner though don't let the name fool you.

janegoben

Post by janegoben » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for all the replies :) I think I will check out the prices in my local pet shop/order one online and see how it goes. Knowing them they'll love to ignore it! But I'd like them to have the opportunity if they want to use it.

I'll update on how it goes once the wheel is here!
Jane.
Argo and Pluto the ratties :love: Ossy, Ali, Indi and Rubi the hamsters :) Daisy the guinea pig :)

Ratpoints

Post by Ratpoints » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Here almost all my does use them, the bucks have a tendancy to use them as sleeping places. 1 of 5 runs in it ;)

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:57 pm

I put some. I only got a wheel quite recently for my gang, the youngest is 13 months. The boys don't use it and only 5 of my girls do even saffy (aka fat saf). Certainly recommend. Cos I have 2 cages I alternate the wheel so they think its something new every other week rather than buying one for each cage.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

lamb

Post by lamb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:02 pm

Yes, which is why im yawning now. Word of warning...silent spinners arent silent :lol:
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

janegoben

Post by janegoben » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:25 pm

lamb wrote:Yes, which is why im yawning now. Word of warning...silent spinners arent silent :lol:
:lol: That's ok, I'm used to the hamsters running in their wheels for half of the night, none of them are silent either :roll: I've some how learnt to sleep through it all!
Jane.

Return to “Habitat”