what is the best bedding to use for rats?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

which rat bedding do you use?

-fleece
8%
-boxo
No votes
-care fresh
No votes
-newspaper
No votes
-old clothes
4%
-other
88%

Total votes: 24

pinkeleisha5

what is the best bedding to use for rats?

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:32 am

just wondering since i'm currently on fleece
owner of two happy female ratties Penny and Lunar (RIP Lexi, you will forever be missed greatly) <3

(Australia)

AlisonR

Re: what is the best bedding to use for rats?

Post by AlisonR » Sat May 10, 2014 7:15 am

Green mile, a shredded cardboard like bedding which i scatter feed in and they carry pieces into their beds.
What is Boxo?
I found carefresh dusty, Newspaper wouldn't be absorbant enough, old clothes would run out fast and stink quickly and fleece doesnt allow them to exhibit natural behaviours such as digging and making nests etc.

SueN

Post by SueN » Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 am

Ecopet cardboard squares for us, newspaper get soggy quickly therefore exacerbating the ammonia smell, fleece as Alison said doesn't allow them to dig, care fresh has a strange odour and is expensive, and scatter feeding here too.
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 10, 2014 7:26 am

Do your rats also have access to a digging box? If you have them on fleece it's important to provide alternate access to an area they can dig in, since it's a pretty crucial natural rat behaviour. Very easy enrichment too, given that they get so much out of digging.

I also have no idea what boxo is?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

SueN

Post by SueN » Sat May 10, 2014 8:21 am

Nor me :?
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:49 am

Boxo is a another type of bedding. It's made from recycled materials and it's cheaper than care fresh
owner of two happy female ratties Penny and Lunar (RIP Lexi, you will forever be missed greatly) <3

(Australia)

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:51 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Do your rats also have access to a digging box? If you have them on fleece it's important to provide alternate access to an area they can dig in, since it's a pretty crucial natural rat behaviour. Very easy enrichment too, given that they get so much out of digging.

I also have no idea what boxo is?
I didn't know they needed a digging box. What are they I will get one if it's needed.

(Australia)

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:55 am

AlisonR wrote:Green mile, a shredded cardboard like bedding which i scatter feed in and they carry pieces into their beds.
What is Boxo?
I found carefresh dusty, Newspaper wouldn't be absorbant enough, old clothes would run out fast and stink quickly and fleece doesnt allow them to exhibit natural behaviours such as digging and making nests etc.
Boxo is cheaper than care fresh and made from recycled materials. I use fleece but I give them pieces of sweater material to make nests and they do but I'll probably get a digging box for them.

(Australia)

SueN

Post by SueN » Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 am

Are you in the USA by any chance ? I just googled Boxo and it seems to be more geared to the American market.

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:21 am

SueN wrote:Are you in the USA by any chance ? I just googled Boxo and it seems to be more geared to the American market.
Nope. I'm in Australia but I was just seeing what other people use. Some people might order their bedding online like I've heard some people do

(Australia)

SueN

Post by SueN » Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 am

Ahh that is probably why we have not heard of it :D

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 10, 2014 12:53 pm

pinkeleisha5 wrote:I didn't know they needed a digging box. What are they I will get one if it's needed.
Just like a box with a deep layer of substrate they can dig in, since they can't dig in fleece. You'd need to buy a small amount of a loose material substrate, but not as much as if you were using it instead of the fleece. Plastic storage containers can work well as many come with lids. If you have a plastic lid and make a rat-sized hole in that contains the mess much better than having a box without a lid. Gives them opportunity to do lots of lovely naturally ratty behaviours :)

Boxo sounds suitable though, if that's a possibility for you. In terms of nesting material, try hay and shredded paper/ newspaper. Newspaper isn't really suitable to use on the floor as it'll need changing in about 2 seconds flat, but it's very good to use as nesting material/ actually in their beds. You can shred it up yourself in an electric shredder, tear it up into bigger strips by hand or just give them big sheets to chew/ tear up themselves. Could do a mixture of all of that at once/ over time too.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sat May 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Cardboard bedding is VERY hard to get in parts of Australia. There only appears to be one manufacturer that I can find, and their distributors are clustered in certain states.

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:30 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
pinkeleisha5 wrote:I didn't know they needed a digging box. What are they I will get one if it's needed.
Just like a box with a deep layer of substrate they can dig in, since they can't dig in fleece. You'd need to buy a small amount of a loose material substrate, but not as much as if you were using it instead of the fleece. Plastic storage containers can work well as many come with lids. If you have a plastic lid and make a rat-sized hole in that contains the mess much better than having a box without a lid. Gives them opportunity to do lots of lovely naturally ratty behaviours :)

Boxo sounds suitable though, if that's a possibility for you. In terms of nesting material, try hay and shredded paper/ newspaper. Newspaper isn't really suitable to use on the floor as it'll need changing in about 2 seconds flat, but it's very good to use as nesting material/ actually in their beds. You can shred it up yourself in an electric shredder, tear it up into bigger strips by hand or just give them big sheets to chew/ tear up themselves. Could do a mixture of all of that at once/ over time too.
i have a shredder and i also have shredded up newspaper already so ill probably use that. thanks :)

(Australia)

Amie

Post by Amie » Sat May 10, 2014 6:08 pm

I use finacard. It's shredded cardboard bedding, dust free and pretty cheap. I pay £7.95 for a massive bale (plus postage/) I put a very deeo layer of bedding in and clean my girls out once a week. The bedding is still fairly clean when it comes to cleaning time. I've tried carefresh and the first batch I used, my girls caught lice. Carefresh is stupidly expensive too.

I use paper litter (back to nature or biocatelet in the litter tray)

Newspaper, loo roll or kitchen roll in their bed. I just scrunch up big sheets of newspaper and they go nuts with it. Or I give them a loo roll at play time and they have fun shredding it and carrying it back in their cage to build a next. Not that they sleep in it, they seem to prefer their hammocks.
Mommy to Lily, Henrietta, Paige, Maria, Tessa and Ava.

Always Mommy to my sleeping beauties.

Return to “Habitat”