what is the best bedding to use for rats?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

which rat bedding do you use?

-fleece
8%
-boxo
No votes
-care fresh
No votes
-newspaper
No votes
-old clothes
4%
-other
88%

Total votes: 24

rattycorner

Re: what is the best bedding to use for rats?

Post by rattycorner » Sat May 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Finacard here as well. I get it by the pallet load so delivery is free.
Annette and the Brandywine Rats
at Ratty Corner
The Midlands Rat Club

RavenMoon

Post by RavenMoon » Sun May 11, 2014 12:16 am

They get fitch in the litter trays (as I use it for the bunnies), fleece on the base of the top half of the tower and a deep amount of finacard in the bottom of the tower for digging. So everything :D

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:22 am

Amie wrote:I use finacard. It's shredded cardboard bedding, dust free and pretty cheap. I pay £7.95 for a massive bale (plus postage/) I put a very deeo layer of bedding in and clean my girls out once a week. The bedding is still fairly clean when it comes to cleaning time. I've tried carefresh and the first batch I used, my girls caught lice. Carefresh is stupidly expensive too.

I use paper litter (back to nature or biocatelet in the litter tray)

Newspaper, loo roll or kitchen roll in their bed. I just scrunch up big sheets of newspaper and they go nuts with it. Or I give them a loo roll at play time and they have fun shredding it and carrying it back in their cage to build a next. Not that they sleep in it, they seem to prefer their hammocks.
wow you seem like you know what your doing. that is a excellent idea. I have my girls on fleece but in their litter they have shredded newspaper but it goes everywhere so I need to buy a grill to keep it in place. I'll be buying a digging box soon and filling it will more shredded newspaper so they can dig around in it for fun. I also give mine toliet rolls but they prefer to roll them around and chew on them.
owner of two happy female ratties Penny and Lunar (RIP Lexi, you will forever be missed greatly) <3

(Australia)

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:25 am

[quote="RavenMoon"]They get fitch in the litter trays (as I use it for the bunnies), fleece on the base of the top half of the tower and a deep amount of finacard in the bottom of the tower for digging. So everything :D[/

this is a excellent idea sounds like a great setup! good job, I'm sure you have some very happy and healthy ratties hehe :)
owner of two happy female ratties Penny and Lunar (RIP Lexi, you will forever be missed greatly) <3

(Australia)

amy104

Post by amy104 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:23 pm

I have fleece with a big digging box with a mix of ecobed and fitch. I use megazorb in the litter trays so that it's different from the digging box.
Slave to a gorgeous little mischief: Remy, Mr Jingles, Templeton, Fievel, Milo, Spartacus, Crixus, Basil, Frisby, Mocha, Latte & Expresso.

pinkeleisha5

best bedding for rats?

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Note: thread merged with your existing one on the same topic to prevent repetition. Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.

what is the best bedding to use for rats? i know ceder and pine are bad for rats and they can cause many respiratory issues so i was just wondering what other options there are. also my local pet store sells care fresh but its really expensive and i heard its not that great to use and its really pricey for the small amount you get in a bag. im currently on towels but my rats seem to dig and chew them up and hide underneath so i decided it would be better to change to a different type of bedding.

(Australia)

acapae_wolf

Re: best bedding for rats?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Did you try any of the suggestions made in your almost identical thread from last month?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Nicky
Admin Aide

Post by Nicky » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Cats Steffi Mac
:love: Zulu Pixie Candy Topsy Storm Mercury Dante Gabriel Mitchell Ruairí ;)
:rattyrainbow: Forever in my heart (click) :cry:

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:12 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Did you try any of the suggestions made in your almost identical thread from last month?
wow no need to get snappy! a simple "your other thread had comments that answered this" would of been nicer geez :/

(Australia)

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:13 pm

thank you :)

(Australia)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm

pinkeleisha5 wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:Did you try any of the suggestions made in your almost identical thread from last month?
wow no need to get snappy! a simple "your other thread had comments that answered this" would of been nicer geez :/
I was genuinely asking if you had or not. Because my initial suggestions for you to try now would be exactly the same as the initial suggestions I made last month. Knowing if you tried anything suggested already and if you did how it worked out, will give a firmer grounding to make more suggestions on from. And will also prevent your entire other thread just being repeated here, which doesn't benefit anyone.

[typo]
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

pinkeleisha5

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:18 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
pinkeleisha5 wrote:
I was genuinely asking if you had or not. Because my initial suggestions for you to try now would be exactly the same as the initial suggestions I made last month. Knowing if you tried anything suggested already and if you did how it worked out, will give a firmer grounding to make more suggestions on from. And will also prevent you're entire other thread just being repeated here, which doesn't benefit anyone.
oh ok, sorry its just the way you put it that made me think this.

(Australia)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:19 pm

So did you try any of the prior suggestions made? And the ones you did try, how did it go? Let us know what worked, and also what didn't work (and why). Then we can make more specific suggestions to have the things that didn't work do better, or think up other strategies to give them a more enriching environment.

If you haven't tried anything since your thread last month, I strongly suggest (as everyone said back then) to give things a go. At this point, if nothing's changed your end (a move from fleece to towel alone doesn't count as one, as it's still a flat rather than loose substrate) there's not really anything else to add.

Return to “Habitat”