Wine rack climbing frame

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.
RatBubble

Wine rack climbing frame

Post by RatBubble » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 pm

I love a carboot rummage and was delighted when we got there today to see this on the first stall.

They kindly took a quid for it and then asked if I wanted to purchase their wine making kit too. The lady was so desperate for me to take it and when i replied with 'Oh i'm not filling wine with this, its for my rat girls..for their cage' She promptly vanished. I had to laugh :lol:
Four beautiful girls, Lady B, Meow (MaoMao), Miss Winnie & Jinx

acapae_wolf

Re: Wine rack climbing frame

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 am

Good bargain :D
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:30 pm

:lol: iv had a few funny looks when iv explained what my wine racks have been for.
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm keeping an eye out for a new one, mine is on its last legs now really. Although it's lasted really well, someone had already painted it when I found it in a charity shop so saved me a job! It's one of my favourite bits of cage furniture.
Owned by Merryn,Bee, Timber, Mouse & Wren
34 loved and lost
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart - A.A. Milne

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Good bargain :D
I do love a carboot sale :)
lamb wrote::lol: iv had a few funny looks when iv explained what my wine racks have been for.
I like I'm not alone :lol:
Rootigger wrote:I'm keeping an eye out for a new one, mine is on its last legs now really. Although it's lasted really well, someone had already painted it when I found it in a charity shop so saved me a job! It's one of my favourite bits of cage furniture.
I've been keen to find one since I saw them in a lot of the set ups in the 'Show me your cage' thread. It's actually going in tomorrow on their 'move around day'. They've been all over it on free range which is fun to watch

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 am

I used to use wine racks when I had my explorer with its larger footprint but now I have a furet plus tower, floor space is at a premium unfortunately :( I was just wondering however whether I could get one to go from front to back of the cage and attach it cleverly with cable ties to make an interesting climbing level... Hmmmm, might have to investigate....
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 am

izzerie wrote:I used to use wine racks when I had my explorer with its larger footprint but now I have a furet plus tower, floor space is at a premium unfortunately :( I was just wondering however whether I could get one to go from front to back of the cage and attach it cleverly with cable ties to make an interesting climbing level... Hmmmm, might have to investigate....
I'm going to be using cable ties for ours mid way in our cage as it's not for the floor space. Our base is 80x50 but our height is 170 I think because its a Freddy max and Jenny modded together with extra modified door :P

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Fri May 01, 2015 3:05 pm

I rarely have mine on the floor, cable ties are very handy! Be careful if you have chewers though.
Owned by Merryn,Bee, Timber, Mouse & Wren
34 loved and lost
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart - A.A. Milne

rattycorner

Post by rattycorner » Fri May 01, 2015 3:19 pm

I prefer them for freerange as I'm a little paranoid that they may fold up on the rats if they manage to move them. I've got a shoelace holding my current one open as well, at least until it gets removed by the rats.
Annette and the Brandywine Rats
at Ratty Corner
The Midlands Rat Club

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:03 pm

I find as long as they are used in the cage floor the right way up and secured with pear clips there's little chance of them folding up on some poor ratty. I can see why you may be reluctant though with them designed to be folding.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Fri May 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Rhian33 wrote:I find as long as they are used in the cage floor the right way up and secured with pear clips there's little chance of them folding up on some poor ratty. I can see why you may be reluctant though with them designed to be folding.

Ours is secured in a manner that prevents it from closing because any chance of the unspeakable happening was too horrid to allow. :shock:

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun May 03, 2015 9:58 am

rattycorner wrote:I prefer them for freerange as I'm a little paranoid that they may fold up on the rats if they manage to move them. I've got a shoelace holding my current one open as well, at least until it gets removed by the rats.
I picked up a mini-one like that (just 2 squares worth if you see what I mean) and I ended up cable tying it to the roof so that you'd have to push up on it in order to make it close, just to make absolutely sure nobody could get squished in it.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Ebonyy

Post by Ebonyy » Tue May 05, 2015 6:16 am

izzerie wrote:I used to use wine racks when I had my explorer with its larger footprint but now I have a furet plus tower, floor space is at a premium unfortunately :( I was just wondering however whether I could get one to go from front to back of the cage and attach it cleverly with cable ties to make an interesting climbing level... Hmmmm, might have to investigate....
You should be able to fairly easily, I've done this in a Happy House which is about the same dimensions as a Furet Plus Tower I think? :)
Ebony & Co; Took, Waffle, Gizmo, Poppy, Ahri & Vi
Now starring; Sammy, Doug, Doob & Piff the gerbils
To die would be an awfully big adventure. <3

Return to “Habitat”