Shelves for rat room.

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.
Buzzwizz619

Shelves for rat room.

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Ive have 4 circle shelves made from my mums old kitchen chairs and have upholstered them so i can used as low level shelves in my rat play room. There will be ropes and various things so they can get to each of them and ive attached hooks underneath so i can also hang hammocks from them.

Ive brought "L brackets" to attach them to the wall but one side of the bracket is longer than the other, do i put the longer side under the shelf so it reached the middle of the shelf and doesnt mean too much of the shelf is unsupported? or do i attach the longer part to the wall?

Being completely useless at DIY (i tend to just make it up as i go along) i cant figure out which way makes it the most sturdy

Any advice?

Thanks

Amy

fuschia

Re: Shelves for rat room.

Post by fuschia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Sounds cool. Are the shelves going to be used for anything heavy or are they for the ratties to climb on? I've no idea what the right way would be but would say if it's for the rats I expect either way would be strong enough!?
No more ratties
Dogs - Ollie & Mimi :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:03 am

For carrying heavy weights you put the more supporting arm of the L under the shelf itself. And then use suitable length rawl plugs for anchoring to the wall. For shelves that don't need to carry weight, do whatever looks nicest as they'll be strong enough regardless :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Buzzwizz619

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks guys, they are just for the ratties so wont need to hold alot of weight. Ill put the bigger arm under the shelf then so thats abit more supported, encase i end up with really fat rats haha.

My dads going to do the attaching them to the wall part because if i try to drill holes in the wall i probably wont have a wall left lol and his diy skills are wayyyy better than mine lol.

Thankyou!

Amy

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:01 pm

he may also be able to put a very short screw into the shelf through the bracket, which will secure it a lot better, failing that you could use a hole and some wire to secure it so the shelves dont go walkabouts

Return to “Habitat”