What substrate do you use?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

What is the main substrate in your cage

Cardboard squares / shredded cardboard
62%
Woodshavings
4%
Hemp
5%
Newspaper
4%
Other paper (e.g. carefresh or pellets)
11%
Fleece
7%
Something Neo hasn't thought of
7%

Total votes: 91

majix

Re: What substrate do you use?

Post by majix » Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 am

Just sat in work and had a thought - can I use paper out of our shredder for the boys? It's not all plain you see, there's all kinds of coloured stuff in there too? I realise they might end up with a bit of colour transfer (they're pale roans) but i don't mind that as long as it's not bad for them :lol:
Christine - with bucks , Pilot, D'argo, Eddie, Riffraff, Kaiju & Stacker :hearts:

And Columbus & Tallahassee no longer with us

-rattylove-

Post by -rattylove- » Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Nearly finished my first bale of Finacard (after switching from Carefresh.) Might try the Green mile or Ecobed after reading through this though. Do get quite a lot of dust when cleaning out so will see how they compare.

Senga

Post by Senga » Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 am

I use aspen wood shavings. Its readily available at my local pet shop and the boys love it.

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Sat May 26, 2012 8:46 am

Auboise has arrived (about 30 mins after I'd cleaned the boys out the other day - typical!) so I'll be weighing up how I find that. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the infamous mess - I've not even taken it out of the delivery sack yet in fear of leaks :lol: :oops:
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

littlemonster

Post by littlemonster » Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 am

It is messier than cardboard (at least the big squares/strips I used), that said it's also a lot easier to hoover up :lol: I think it actually balances fairly well.

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Sat May 26, 2012 11:24 am

I have laminate flooring, so it can sweep up, but the current bedding gets stuck in the stairs carpet, which is a pain to brush/vacuum out! It can't be any worse than Magazorb, damn I find that stuff EVERYWHERE! :lol:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 26, 2012 11:38 am

The best thing for 'sweeping' Aubiose from carpets is to use a metal rule - have the short edge of the long side on the carpet and pretend it's a brush.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Sat May 26, 2012 11:55 am

Oooooh! I shall try that (I need to purchase a new metal rule) and I should be able to get right up to the skirting too :D

I'm wondering if mixing it with hay would help keep it in the cage, or if it would reduce the diggy properties the rats find so enjoyable?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 26, 2012 12:23 pm

It's really quick and easy - no bits get left behind or anything. I do my whole bedroom carpet and stairs like that :lol: I've never done just hay and Aubiose, but my substrate is usually hay, aubiose, card (and sometimes shredded paper). It changes the digability, but probably in a good way as it increases the structure. Not sure if it will help keep it in though.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

lauraaa

Post by lauraaa » Sat May 26, 2012 2:53 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:The best thing for 'sweeping' Aubiose from carpets is to use a metal rule - have the short edge of the long side on the carpet and pretend it's a brush.
OMG I used to do that for hemp using an aventura shelf :lol:
Rattie mum to bucks: Odin and Loki. RIP Alvin, Callisto Zippy, Prince, Theodore, Dobbie, Dumble and Callisto Elmo, (and of course Scabbers, creature, and Odd ball who went to a new rat mum) :( :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 26, 2012 2:55 pm

lauraaa wrote:
acapae_wolf wrote:The best thing for 'sweeping' Aubiose from carpets is to use a metal rule - have the short edge of the long side on the carpet and pretend it's a brush.
OMG I used to do that for hemp using an aventura shelf :lol:
Hahaha! I like how we both individually have done the same thing :lol: :D

lauraaa

Post by lauraaa » Sat May 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Just realised, I ment ladder, but still :lol: works a charm though!

Rattie people think alike :lol:
Rattie mum to bucks: Odin and Loki. RIP Alvin, Callisto Zippy, Prince, Theodore, Dobbie, Dumble and Callisto Elmo, (and of course Scabbers, creature, and Odd ball who went to a new rat mum) :( :hearts:

Return to “Habitat”