What substrate do you use?

Discussions relating to the housing, environment, free ranging and enrichment of rats.

What is the main substrate in your cage

Cardboard squares / shredded cardboard
62%
Woodshavings
4%
Hemp
5%
Newspaper
4%
Other paper (e.g. carefresh or pellets)
11%
Fleece
7%
Something Neo hasn't thought of
7%

Total votes: 91

Linda

Re: What substrate do you use?

Post by Linda » Sun May 20, 2012 1:59 pm

I use shavings with a layer of Finacard on top.
This combination is the best I have used for keeping the smell down and they love digging about in it.
Linda Hall
Nothing to see here!

htsr4

Post by htsr4 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I used hardwood stove pellets with shredded newspaper or hay on top for burrowing and sleeping.

lauraaa

Post by lauraaa » Sun May 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Ive used finacard, although it kept the ammonia smell down, it caused my whole group to have a resp flare up.
I found carefresh too dusty, and smelt...wierd when damp.
Currently using back2nature, its ok, but its best just in litter trays, but its all I have right now.

Im planning on going back to using hemcore or something similar, looks great, smells great, absorbant, rats love it, and they were healthy on it..
Rattie mum to bucks: Odin and Loki. RIP Alvin, Callisto Zippy, Prince, Theodore, Dobbie, Dumble and Callisto Elmo, (and of course Scabbers, creature, and Odd ball who went to a new rat mum) :( :hearts:

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sun May 20, 2012 4:33 pm

I was a Finacard girl, but I tried Greenmile and I can't believe how much less mess it makes! Nothing gets kicked out the cage and no nasty dust stuck to the trays :)
RIP Mr Gregory Bread, Big Bad Billy Bear, Beautiful Barry Role, Sir Ivory Coast, Mr Jeremy Ruffles, Timmy Tatters, Wee Willy Whiskers, Roly-Poly Rodney Hood, Denny Doofus, Larry Love, Mr Minky Mikey-Moo, the wonderful Terry Triviani,Tony Balloney& Bailey Boo and Harvey Wallbanger xxx

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun May 20, 2012 6:41 pm

We mostly use card but at times have used hemp or shavings as trials.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

Exogenesis

Post by Exogenesis » Sun May 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Since I started getting breeder rats I've used ecobed, but a few months ago I thought I'd try finacard... Never buying again, it's dusty, messy, soggy and just a general pain. I still love the papelit litter for both rats and my cat, but I now have a new bale of ecobed for when the finacard runs out. Wood shavings set my asthma off, so I wouldn't want to use it for my rats.
Kirsty and the Ratty Girls; Pam and Nell & Ratty Boys; Ichigo, Renji, Zaraki and Harper. And the cat, Darwin.
Gone but not forgotten; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuki, Shiro, Rukia, Amaya, Ellis, Nick, Mai, Misaki, River, Armand, Coach and Kokoro

Rootigger

Post by Rootigger » Sun May 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Cardboard's my main substrate - currently finacard but I'm switching to squares.

They also have shredded newspaper and kitchen roll for nesting, occasionally hay to forage in, fleece blankets and vetbed in sleepy places and paper pellets in litter trays. Plus peat free compost in their digging box.
Owned by Merryn,Bee, Timber, Mouse & Wren
34 loved and lost
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart - A.A. Milne

Yamazumi

Post by Yamazumi » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 pm

I use newspaper then fleece on the very base of their cage, but Greenmile in the storage box which covers the majority of the floor., also add some to baskets and their sputnik. Litter tray has yesterday's news at the moment and I used shredded paper/newspaper in all their baskets and such.
Chaplin & Arthur the buns, Rory the Labrador

absolute_twaddle

Post by absolute_twaddle » Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 pm

We'll be using Ecobed after the current bale of Finacard as big bales can be picked up locally. The Finacard is yet another dusty bale - in fact it was so dusty one end I had to flip it over and start at the less dusty end. I'll be recycling the last 1/4 or so, or I may sieve it in the garden to save on waste but it's such a faff!

Roobarb

Post by Roobarb » Sun May 20, 2012 10:59 pm

I moved from shavings a while ago because a group of girls I had were respy and it wouldn't clear. I used Hemcore for while but didn't like that so much either. I'm on squares now but the baby boys I have refuse to walk on it :roll: they walk on the rim of the base and litter trays to get around. Will try Finacard/green mile as I believe that's softer... other than that I dunno lol
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete and there are no new worlds to conquer" Sir Humphry Davy

littlemonster

Post by littlemonster » Mon May 21, 2012 1:41 am

I've just moved from cardboard to Aubiose (hemp) to see if it cuts smells down. Downside for rats is they can't carry it to use and make into beds in their hammocks and sputniks, but I figure lots of shredded paper will make up for that!

Will see how it goes though, I've just been finding that the cardboard doesn't absorb the urine, and therefore the smell, as well as it did with less rats.

ali_rat1987

Post by ali_rat1987 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I used finacard as the substrate. I have noticed it's a bit dusty when I'm cleaning them out, but I think honestly don't think anything is entirely dust free. It's a lot cheaper that Bio Cat-o-Let which I used on my last boys as well!

It's really tough as a new rat owner to know which to use, especially with SO much conflicting advice on here, and in other places!
Mummy to Clive :smile:, Sumo :dumbo:,Bebop :smile:, Rocksteady :smile: Teppic :smile: and Errol :smile:

Gone but forever in my heart: Boris, Scamp and Loki :halo:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon May 21, 2012 8:06 pm

I use a bedding that looks like shredded tea bags. It seems to keep the smell down very well, and it's fairly dust free.
Cara,
Owned by Lilly, Rose & Daphne
Missing Snippet, Frost, Willow, Nix, Fern, Heidi, Fizz, Micha, Bubbles, Bee, Asteroid & Gypsy

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Finacard or Greenmile for the bulk of it but I usually chuck in all manner of other bits for variety/engineering usefulness ;) (I have some avid nest building boys), papelit (unscented paper based cat litter) for the litter trays.
Katie x
Reinette, Satine, Lumi, Ilona, Satu, Rune, Beau and Joshua

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Walmsley Premierbed here (Eco-bed lookalike). Can get it fairly locally which makes it good value.

Hemp is used in litter trays. I will probably mix hemp and cardboard once my Explorer is up and running. Hate hemp on it's own but mixed in with cardboard it's fine. Currently using Hemcore as I can get it locally and frankly I prefer to use this to keep flies away from the rabbits' litter trays. Not noticed any problems resp-wise via the hemp.
Love Han xx
With the Rabbits and the Doglets xx Plus the meeces, the Multis and Honey the Syrian Hamster! Xx
The Lilliput Ratty Trio - forever in my heart - Nisha, Koko and Lila. Zuri and Hazel too - much missed xx :rattyrainbow: xx

Return to “Habitat”