Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Information (under review) » Show your set up

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Large and Wide Aviary Cages
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 am 

Here's my girls new set up - 13 girlies live in here though the cage calculater says it should hold 17 - this leaves them a ton of space to move and play. Loads of floor space, lovely deep tray at the bottom. Also a steal at 114 quid delivered!

Here it is.... only a temp layout as i just wanted them in and settled quickly before i start doing real layouts.

RIP to all my past rootles. I can no longer fit you all on. :(

Post subject: Re: Large and Wide Aviary Cages
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 pm 

Ferplast duetto: home to 8 does ranging from a wobbly 26 months to 3 months.

Previous layouts
First layout that was far too easy, but you know how it is with getting used to a new cage.

Last layout. Not the best photo either as I had to run off to the vets and then the train. There's a big hammock at the top in the middle and also half an ancol tube attached to the roof as an alternate way up there (Orble's getting a big wobbly).

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:42 pm 

Ferplast duetto: home to 8 does ranging from a wobbly 26 months to 3.5 months.

Current layout is the first one I've felt more like I know the cage, rather than getting used to the new dimensions.

Whole thing

Downstairs

Blue bowl in the metal thing is a small litter tray.

Green leap-n-ledge in the corner that just about shows

Long bit of wood is ash

Green paper bag is stuffed full of hay (and a sprinkling of dry food).

Upstairs
Circle thing from IKEA is absolutely brilliant. I *think* I nabbed that idea from Jemma? The thicker bit of wood is ash also.

Going to add another hammock or something under the wheel/ long rope as Orble can't quite manage it 100%

Bed! Purposefully just above the main litter tray now :roll:

I've never worked out the point of those little holes front and back in the apex of Ferplast aviaries (and why the little white filler things either?!). But this perch fits!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:31 pm 

This cage can hold 7 rats and there were 3 in here at the time the photo was taken...lots of room and a nice sized floor space for bucks. It needs cargo nets or strategically place hammocks to catch any falling rats!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm 

this is mine its a flight cage off ebay got it for £100,it holds 6 but i have 5 males in it.

at the time they didn't do a black one but the do now.
i find the silver bars hurt my eyes.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:12 pm 

Still somewhat grappling with duetto layouts. Would be nice is other people could upload some for ideas!

Whole thing

Right side of bottom

Middle bottom - twig going across the cage is ash

Left side of bottom - blue bowl is a small litter tray

Middle

Top right - another blue litter tray (that sometimes gets turned into a bed)

Top left - the multicoloured rope goes between the 2 random little holes on the duetto apex

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 pm 

RIP to all my past rootles. I can no longer fit you all on. :(

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:54 pm 

We currently have 3 girls in a duetto ("The Cocktail Lounge" where Poppy 27 months and two new girls both 13 wks currently live!)

At the top there is a cardboard box that runs the width of the cage with windows and door cut out, stuffed with shredded paper. The litter tray is in the bottom right hand corner.

Ratties at the Bridge: Natla, Flufl, Xena, Manga, Jenga, Onion, Mollie (Moloko), Suki, Roxy, Zheni (Precious), Minka, Wiija, Lolly, Lalia, Echo, Pip (Pippin), Nee, Indie (India), Poppy, Toots, Tesla, Ditzy, Bingo, Buffy. Lady Rip has been rehomed

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 pm 

Some of my duetto layouts:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:16 pm 

One of my Montana Aviaries. Can't get a head on photo as the room isn't big enough for me to get that far away! It's currently occupied by 7 does.. :lol: Cage calculator says something like 30.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:05 pm 

Thank you people :D :D

9 does in this layout; ranging from a 3.5 to a slightly wobbly 23.5 months.

Top left

Top right

Middle right

Middle left

Top half

Bottom left

Bottom middle

Bottom right

Bottom side-on

Whole thing

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm 

Home to 8 does, ranging from 4 to 18.5 months

acapae_wolf originally in viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5865 wrote:
Left hand side. The bag is finished cat litter and did have hay and food in. Now it's empty, but I expect over time it will be torn up for nesting material. The multi-coloured wooden things is rings on a wire. It's wide, but requires confidence because they do spin...

Right hand side. New SS wheel requires kangaroo hops to get in. The veggie holder is only really accessable from the green rope which is relatively taught here for stability, but it also long so prone to wobbling especially when there's more than one rat about.

View from the left. The poster tube was wrapped with string/ rope as a (near-/) vertical climbing toy; for variation is now at an easier angle but without help. The multicoloured long rope goes fully across the cage near the floor - although it's got a wire middle, the length makes it relatively wobbly. Adding loop-the-loops to those ropes makes them more stable, but that wasn't the aim here. I have however added some little 'notches' which basically just means that the rope doesn't sink to the ground when multiple rats are on it. It's tied to the bars next to the wheel, but then continues up and ends futher up on the same side. This photo also shows the little perch on one of the doors.

Novelty shelf! It's a square from the C+C cages covered in correx. And then I've hung it in the middle of the cage with thin rope (mostly cotton, one corner is thin sisal). The ropes go from the corners of the shelf, around a support bar on the cage, and then are knotted front/ back with their pair. I thought that was a bit too much for a first time, so I've then used other rope to essentially tie as the shelf-rope goes around the bars, and have increased the thickness/ stability of the front/ back tied bit.

It's really scary though; I've only seen Norey, dridh and Wen on it so far, all looking like squashed starfish, with bulging eyes, and probably saying things that the forum would filter :lol: The parrot toy has dry mix in it from last night still; the novelty shelf is that scary. I'm going to put delicious fresh things in it tonight and see what happens! There is tempting dry mix and hay sprinkled on it.

Left of the novelty shelf. The bring orange hammock is black on the other side (visible in photos of the bottom of the cage). 3 corners are attached to the bars, the other to the novelty shelf. Yup, this means this hammock is also really scary. The long branch is a semi-mature ash sapling. It's less flexible and the bark (where it remains!) is slightly rough for grip.

Looking across the middle. You can see the end of the long rope that goes across the bottom, and a perch a hop away. The multicoloured bed is hanging from their litter tray and is proving to be a useful way down for those who're avoiding the novelty shelf and it's thin ropes. It's not as easy as it seems though as it's made from very light fleece, thus prone to moving at the gentlest of touches. Also the entrance is fairly high up the overall droop, so they sort of plop in.

Top left. Various perches and ropey things really. I've aimed for a range of dimensions and textures in both the 'walkways' and 'stops'. And the hammocky thing is their main bed; everyone stayed in it during photo-taking for once.

Top right. The two branches in the corner are young ash - thin and smooth, but also very strong and stable. The wire basket was originally filled with nesting material and some nuts, but now it's looking a little bare! It's clipped to the roof on either side of the apex with little clip chains so is wobbly but not going anywhere. The blue tray is their litter tray (less litter than usual due to running out), but I also scatter dry mix in there. The touch of colourful fabric you can see isn't in the cage. It's my rat-things flannel which lives thrown over that back corner slidey thing that doesn't go down all the way lol.

Top from the right. Showing the little perch on the door. Also the detail/ texture of the tan thing = which is wide and stable, but long and very losely attached. It is weighted down in the middle with a parrot feeding toy though.

Whole thing. The duetto roof being apexed can make layouts a bit tricky sometimes. However I've discovered it's absolutely excellent in terms of giving them long branches; I can put a branch in on one side of the roof and it comes out the other side creating a long, stable but thin walkway. The two bits of wood sticking out the roof here are the ends of an ash branch doing just that. The angle and slight flexibility of the wood mean I don't need to tie it in place either.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am 

End of February/ March layout I forgot to post. Home to only 6 does now :( All healthy and fit (if a little podgy from winter coldness and less healthy friends over the past couple of months); ranging from 5 to 20 months.

Bottom half

Bottom from the left. Blue mushroom thing is a bird feeding thing - idea nicked from tabi :P

Middle

Top half

Top left - there's a small black hammock in the top front corner you can just see

Top right

Very top from the left

Very top from the right

Whole thing

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 am 

Home 6 does. All healthy and fit, ranging from 6 to 21 months.

Whole cage

Left side of the bottom - the wire thing in the corner is a little shelf thing with a lino floor. The plastic chain is also walked (well run) across by the more agile.

Bottom from the left side

Bottom from the left side a bit higher up to show the right side better

Going up on the right side of the bottom

Middle from the left. Some sleep inside the layers of the hammock.

Bit higher up from the left of the middle

Back where those last two photos were taken from

View through the roof from the left

Right side of the middle/ top

View from the right across the top. Blue bucket is their other bed

View up from the base to the top of the cage

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Information (under review) » Show your set up