Want To Make A Mix But Confused

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
salsa81

Want To Make A Mix But Confused

Post by salsa81 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Currently feeding the boys on RR no.7 but thought it might cheaper (and easier) to make up my own mix.

I've read through the basic principles but I'm still fairly confused. I don't need to do it straight away as I've got about 1.5KG of no.7 left but would like to do it.

As much as they'll eat the mix, there's always something left in the dish.

I know it's a case of trial and error BUT if anyone has any suggestions out there or could let me know their mix recipe, it'll be greatly received. :D
Sally with The rat boys Dexter (Dex) and Wingnut (Speedy / Nut / Mr Nut)
Noodles the dog
Isla The Highlander
RIP Knightely

debzratties

Re: Want To Make A Mix But Confused

Post by debzratties » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Have you considered a Shunamite type mix? There's loads of options to make up the base part of the mix, I originally started off using 2 or 3 different rabbit muesli type mixes combined to give a variety of different ingredients, this would form the bulk of the mix and to that i'd add 4-5 various (<5% sugar) human cereals, dried mixed veg, various seeds, good quality low protein dog kibble and mixed bunny herbs all of which were available locally so no shipping costs. I then switched to RR no.3 kidney support plus as a base as I found there was a lot of waste with the rabbit food and I wanted a mix that was more kidney friendly. It's quite a lot cheaper than the complete mixes but still has a good range of grains plus a wide variety of seeds, the protein part is also covered as there's a choice of mixes one of which has soya flakes and the other has egg biscuit. To make up a complete mix you'd just need to add a few low sugar cereals, dried veg and some bunny herbs. I did try the no.7 for a while but don't like sticking to the same mix day in day out so found myself adding a growing number of extra ingredients and the main reason I changed back to no.3 as I can vary the mix each batch and avoid the things I know they don't like. Some of the extras I buy the same time as my RR no.3 order and others I buy from various local pet shops, health food shops and supermarkets.

Another alternative that quite a few others use is to combine the complete mixes with other mixes, rabbit, pigeon, horse type feeds etc. There's a good article in information under feeding which explains the Shunamite diet in detail and there's also lots of ideas for making various mixes within the "show us your mix" thread but i'm not at my computer atm so can't send a link sorry.

salsa81

Post by salsa81 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for that.

I've got about 4 weeks worth of no.7 left so I'm going to do some more reading and have a think about what I want to do.

I've had a look at the various recipes on the show us your mix link so am contemplating one of those.

Are all the ingredients easy to get hold of? There's a few things I haven't heard of so am not really sure. I know where I can get seeds / nuts etc. from but it's things like the flaked veggies etc. that I don't know where to go.
Noodles the dog
Isla The Highlander
RIP Knightely

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:45 pm

There's a thread about sourcing dried veggies here.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

salsa81

Post by salsa81 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks Vix.

Just ordered a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet, can't wait to get it and get stuck in reading.

I reckon I've got 2 to 3 weeks worth of RR left so hopefully when that gets low, I'll have absorbed all the information and have a better idea of what to do.
Noodles the dog
Isla The Highlander
RIP Knightely

Todaymueller

Post by Todaymueller » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Plenty of info HERE .
I must say I found the whole mix thing confusing...but then I am a bit thick. :?

-rattylove-

Post by -rattylove- » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 am

Todaymueller wrote:Plenty of info HERE
I'm confused too! But it's interesting. Not that I'm planning to do it soon, maybe in the future. How would I know what proportions to feed my boys? If the volume in the link is suggested for elderly rats?

And is it very cost effective?

salsa81

Post by salsa81 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Very excited now as my copy of The Scuttling Gourmet arrived in the post today.

Will be stopping reading Sophie's World for the next few nights in favour of this as I don't have too much RR No.7 left and really want to start making my own....

....needless to say when I squealed slightly this morning on opening my parcel, I think my colleagues thought a was slightly mad!!! :lol: :shock:
Noodles the dog
Isla The Highlander
RIP Knightely

Todaymueller

Post by Todaymueller » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Well I am feeding a mix consisting of :

6 x Mr Johnsons supreme fruity rabbit
2 x Tescos value cornflakes
1 x Rice
1/2 x Pasta
1/2 x Burns chicken and brown rice dog kibble

I supplement this with some frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix from the supermarket, thawed, then cut up if it is too chunky. They also get Dandelion leaves when I spot them in the garden.
As far as I can tell this is fine. My boys are doing really well. I am not an expert so if this is poor advice please do not hesitate to say so.

HansMischief

Post by HansMischief » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I feed mine Rupert Rat (or whatever it's called now!) + garlic, seaweed and barley rings from local equine supplier. Plus veggies and leftovers and cod liver oil capsules which they just love.
Hannah Johnsen

Proud supporter of Rat Out Of Hell Rescue
www.southwestratclub.org

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:28 am

debzratties wrote: Another alternative that quite a few others use is to combine the complete mixes with other mixes, rabbit, pigeon, horse type feeds etc. There's a good article in information under feeding which explains the Shunamite diet in detail and there's also lots of ideas for making various mixes within the "show us your mix" thread but i'm not at my computer atm so can't send a link sorry.
You've got TSG and you've seen the link to the Shunamite Diet principles. This 'Show Your Mix' thread which Debs mentioned might give you some ideas of what else to add (brand name wise and sometimes where to source it from), if you haven't already read it :)

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Return to “Making up a mix”