Please help identify my babies' variety :)

Discussions and questions about genetics, what variety a rat is and such like.
RatMum92

Please help identify my babies' variety :)

Post by RatMum92 » Sun May 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi there,

I recently got two new boys, Rupert and Ralph, as companions for my older boy Reggie. I'm not particularly good identifying varieties although I do know (well I think anyway!) that Reggie is a black striped roan. I'm confused about my younger boys though, despite trying to do lots of research. I have guessed that Rupert is maybe a blue mismarked hooded and that Ralph is a blue mismarked capped but I'm unsure and would appreciate some help!

Below is a photo of my boys. This was taken during first introductions so please excuse the fact they're in a cardboard box :lol: Ralph, the one with the dark head, has a little light spot on his back if you look carefully. Rupert, with the disjointed stripe, has no other markings other than the splodges down his back and the one off-center splodge on his head.

Here's another one showing them at a slightly different angle. Sorry about the poor quality, they wouldn't stay still and Reg decided to be a poser!

ami_j

Re: Please help identify my babies' variety :)

Post by ami_j » Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm

They are cute! they look like overmarked roans/huskys to me
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun May 10, 2015 5:55 pm

I agree, all of them are mismarked roans.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Mismarked striped roans if you want to be more specific; since you can make out the original demarcation lines between colour and white pretty high up the sides/ onto the spine. They're also all dumbos (ears on the side of the head) :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

RatMum92

Post by RatMum92 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Cool, thank you so much guys! :D And yeah I have a soft spot for dumbos! They're just so cute!

Return to “Varieties and genetics”