hi all newbie here - rat variety ID needed

Discussions and questions about genetics, what variety a rat is and such like.
essjay

hi all newbie here - rat variety ID needed

Post by essjay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:43 pm

hi all quick message to say hello.
so umm....hi

so we got our rats from a friend long story short they where going to be snake food but have ended up with us cause well theyre cute and i hadnt seen any that colour before. that has left me with a problem of not knowing wat colour they are exactly lol, they are very light grey and white the female is almost silver can hardly see the grey on her anymore.
il put some pics of them on here and hopefully some of you can tell me.Click image for larger version

thats
Scratch (our daughter named him lol Click image for larger version

and this is Bubbles, her colour doesnt really show well in the pics.

anyways hi and thanks for any imput on these 2

Title edited to include topic and attract those who can answer

Caza66

Re: hi all newbie here

Post by Caza66 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. They look like roans. They start off young as grey with some white and they through their life they can fade out. Bubbles has almost completely faded to white but scratch has kept her grey. Glad they got saved.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

essjay

Post by essjay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 pm

thank you! :) from my searching i had found roan but then i got confused by people saying that every colour could be roan and someone had suggested husky??
they arent wat u call handleable yet lol but they dont bite so its a start

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:26 pm

My knowledge is limited, but husky and roan are the same thing - we tend to use roan in the UK. And I think it's a marking rather than a colour, so you can get different colours of roan, but you can really only tell when they're young because they all then fade to grey! It's really interesting watching them change colour, and then you look back at old photos and can't believe they ever looked like that!

Am I right in thinking you have a boy and a girl there?
Jenny x
:girly: Meg, Scout, Chick, Ruby, Lola :dumbogirly: Hope, Daisy
:rattyrainbow: Pocket, Belle, Dory, Silvermist, Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

essjay

Post by essjay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I have indeed but scratch got the snip the day we got him lol so no babies. Bubbles was already pregs when we got her

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Gosh scratch looks just like our new girl Seeker.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

essjay

Post by essjay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Id never seen that colour rat before so had to have them. Not sure if he was daddy rat ir it was one of the others but out of all his rats theyre the only ones that colour

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:22 am

The photos aren't very clear and I'm looking at them on my phone but they are both roans as has been said. Roan and husky are the same thing, roan is the British name for husky, which is American.

Roan is a marking, like hooded and Berkshire, and can come in any colour. The top photo looks like a black roan but I can't see the bottom rat clearly enough to give a guess at colour. IDing rats by photo is extremely hard, it's better done in person, perhaps someone lives near you or you could bring them to a show?
Valiance Rats
London based rattery breeding away from end of life illnesses. Variety genes we can currently expect are agouti, black, chocolate, british blue, mink, PED, mismarked splodgy things and all combinations.

Return to “Varieties and genetics”