Rat with no whiskers?

Discussions and questions about genetics, what variety a rat is and such like.
amanda1028

Rat with no whiskers?

Post by amanda1028 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:20 pm

My female rat, who I'm thinking is at least half rex due to her slightly thicker/wavier fur, had a litter of babies in March and one of her littles is what I found out is called a patchwork rat, where hair falls out about once a week in different places and grows back.
But the issue I've noticed with this little lady is that she also has no whiskers. Is this normal? Has anyone else ever seen a rat with no whiskers before? I can't seem to find any information on this topic anywhere. :? She doesn't seem uncomfortable at all, and she's very friendly. She just is a bit skittish at times and I wonder if her behavior can be affected by this.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Rat with no whiskers?

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:33 am

The normal rex gene is dominant, therefore your original female is rex, not half rex. The kitten is probably double rex - was the father a rex too?

Some rex rats and probably more double rex rats will have issues with all their hair, so eyelashes and whiskers as well as their coat, so it is quite possible that the kitten is losing whiskers almost as soon as they've started growing.

Whiskers provide a lot of information about a rat's environment, and are far more important than eyes for instance, and not having any effectively disables the rat far more than being blind would, so it's not surprising if she is a bit skittish as a result.

Return to “Varieties and genetics”