Coat type identification?

Discussions and questions about genetics, what variety a rat is and such like.
Marnia

Coat type identification?

Post by Marnia » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:04 am

Hello all! I have a sweet curly boy named Booger who's almost three months old now. I adopted him from a local pet store so I never met the parents or breeder unfortunately. Lately I've been trying to figure out exactly what type of rex he is, and wondered if anyone on here can help! When I first got him I thought he might be a double/homozygous rex as his coat was thin and his whiskers are so tightly curled. However, as he's grown up his coat has grown in nice and thick and he hasn't had any noticeable molting phases like I've read double rexes go through. I think the thin coat was just due to his young age and poor health at the time (poor little guy was weaned too young, painfully thin, and fighting off mycoplasma). Now returned to full health, his whiskers are still much more tightly curled than any other rex I've seen, so now I'm wondering if he might be a satin rex? I've read that their whiskers are extra curly. His fur does also look much shinier compared to my boyfriend's normal rex (a lovely dove colored dumbo about the same age)

Here are the only photos I have of him that aren't blurry - he never sits still for a second! :roll:
http://imgur.com/gallery/j7B38/new

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Coat type identification?

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 am

They really are very curly whiskers aren't they?!

He's not double rex, so just a standard rex - however I don't know about satin as I'm not familiar with how that affects the whiskers.

Stovokor

Re: Coat type identification?

Post by Stovokor » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Satin + rex = relaxed whiskers, that cannot hold curl well.

Return to “Varieties and genetics”