New rescues, probably pregnant

Breeding related topics, including the care of pregnant and nursing does, kitten questions and subjects like inbreeding and outcrossing.
Caza66

Re: New rescues, probably pregnant

Post by Caza66 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Babbiieeessss :hearts:

Had you started giving her the galastop?
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Yep, she'd been on it for 5 days. I guess she was further on than she appeared !
Im just working out feeding menus now from scuttling gourmet to give her all the support I can. At least she an experienced mum :hearts: :baby:
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Good luck :luck: :shock:
acapae_wolf wrote:
Stovokor wrote:For reference the dosage for pregnancy cessation is:
0.1ml BID per 100g of bodyweight for 7 days, or
0.2ml BID per 100g of bodyweight for 3 days.
HereticPr1me wrote:she's gone high end with 50ug per day as 0.25ml twice daily
The 0.25ml twice a day as you were prescribed would be suitable to terminate a pregnancy in either a 250g rat (7 day dose) or a 125g rat(!) (3 day dose). How much did she weigh? If she's around the 250g mark then not managing the full course of 7 days on the lower dose would explain it. But if she weighed any more than that then it's an under-dosing error.

eta
The UK branded Galastop is 50 µg/ml
0.25ml twice a day as prescribed is 0.5ml per 24hrs, which is 25μg daily. So aside from the question about how much the doe weighed, rather than prescribing "50ug per day" the dose stated is half that.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks Beri, sorry I mistyped. She was on 0.5ml x2 daily, so 50ug per 24hrs total. She's 300g, so by the figures that should have worked within 5 days. Go figure she was 5 days from delivery, even though she didnt look big. Bearing in mind I only took them in 7 days ago.
Timing :/ but I'll make sure she gets better nutrition than shes had every other time so she'll hopefully cope well.

Vet agreed your figure were spot on btw, so thanks again :)
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:30 am

Were they already there when you got up or did you see her giving birth?

Congrats, Daddy ! :lol:
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks, no they were already born by the morning, I could hear them eeping when I walked into the room.
Im just glad she is coping with yet another pregnancy, wee mite.
Dad goes in to be neutered on monday.

starstar

Post by starstar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:35 pm

awwww congratulations - of sorts. I hope all goes well with them.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Sad news :(
I just checked in on them and the babies are all gone. I think she has eaten them, its the only explanation :cry: poor wee mites.
I did my best to keep her comfortable and stress free, despite the upheaval of her world changing around her. Ive been feeding her good food, straight out of the scuttling gourmet. Ive not hassled the nest except once or twice to check in on them when she is out feeding. I made sure her cage shelf matched up with her boyfriend's cage shelf so they could be as close to each other as possible.
The only thing I did as move her to a smaller cage on day 1, but left the nestball intact in the box she built it in - I felt it was safer in the smaller cage and it was still bigger than the one they lived in before.
I don't know what else I could have done :( They all had milk lines, she had begun feeding them, so I was just giving her what she needs nutritionally and letting her get on with it unhassled, but today the cage was silent and so I had to pull the massive nestball apart to check and there was no sign of them at all.

Poor little darling, what a thing for her to have to go through, and I was just laughing with my vet this morning about how I'd probably end up keeping them all together as a family group.
Do you think maybe the galastop had an effect that led to this ? Like a mothering hormonal effect ?
I dunno, its just so sad :(

Please do tell me if anyone thinks I got something wrong here, I'd rather know.

Naturenut

Post by Naturenut » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Oh Doug - how devastating for you. So, so, so sorry. Being a newbie, I have no answers to this, only to offer sympathy. x
Granny to Buttons and Wispa
:teen: :dumboteen:

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:46 pm

No answers here either, but I don't think you should blame yourself - it sounds like you did absolutely everything you could. I'm so so sorry though :(
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:49 pm

How many were there? and how was she in herself?

Big hugs that sounds so traumatic

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 pm

There were 11 Jemma, she seemed happy enough. Friendly, not skittish or jumpy. I cant imagine she felt under threat or anything in the way rabbits do around their young.
I just feel so sorry for her feeling she had to do that, the little mite :( I keep feeling like Ive made a mistake and missed them somehow but Ive searched through all the bedding and completely stripped down the nest and theres nothing, and she doesn't seem to be anxious or looking for them or anything.

Thanks for the kind words, its just such a shock. Even though we tried galastop beforehand, that they were here now meant this litter were hers to keep :love: then this happens :(

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:12 pm

How sad. Is it possible that the gala stop affected the babies someway and she knew. I dunno. Poor little thing. Does she seem ok in herself now?
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Yeah she does, she's very keen to get out. I have her out on the sofa atm, shes very excited ofc bearing in mind again that shes only been here 10 days so today is the most shes been out to play.
But yeah, she seems very bright and active

Return to “Breeding”