Should I take on lone male?

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
ticketyboo_fran

Should I take on lone male?

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:30 pm

There is a lone buck near me who has been sat in our rescue since November, he was handed in as a stray :-(

It's a dog shelter and not really the best place for him to be, I think he's going to need a lot of love and work to bring him round, which I'm prepared to do.

The only thing is I only have girls and will need to neuter him first, I can split my explorer while he's recovering.

Should I do it or just keep waiting and hoping someone else will take him? I think the fact he needs a bit of work has put previous people off him.

I can think of bad "what ifs" but no real reasons not to, I'm down to 3 rats now and I have plenty of room, I even have a spare cage if needs be.

Just looking for reassurance really that I'm making a good call here! :-)
Frances, Fluffy, Boing, Zelda, Wisp & Ember :love:
~ With love to all my special babies waiting for me at the bridge :rattyrainbow:
I miss you all so much

BatRats
Admin Aide

Re: Should I take on lone male?

Post by BatRats » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:34 pm

I would definitely do it - in fact, I have done it several times :D Neutering, some lady friends and lots of love in a good home will be just the ticket.
Lisa & the BatRats (breeding as Lovecraft Stud)
Rigs, Fallow, Eldra, Basta!, Afterglow, Tinderbox, Dan, Nash, Lightfoot, Catalyst, Fog, Hannity, Terra, Allagash, Begasti, Freewild, Batman, Sunnymead, Coppermine, Silverthorne, Bazooka, Destri, LOX, Octaweb
Everyone else; sorely missed, forever loved.

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:54 pm

I always keep girls but have always taken on rescue lone bucks if they crop up and I have room. Normally they had been the hormonal aggressive ones that needed separating and neutering from the original group they were in and they always turn out nice. They like living with their girlfriends (even though they always seem to end up bottom of the pile!). I'd give it a go...sounds like he needs someone to love him and give him a chance.
Libby
My rats: Mallory, Ron, Twinkie and Rogue
RIP: Misty, Truffle, Peaches, Ruby, Lola, Noodle, Minka, Hugo, Nakey Noodles, Pumpkin and Velvet. Miss you x

lamb

Post by lamb » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Get him! :D iv rescued several lone males over the years. It is true they do usually end up at the bottom of the group :lol:
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

ticketyboo_fran

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:05 pm

I'll speak to my vet and see if he's still there, should I get him and neuter him straight away? Or try to bond with him first?
~ With love to all my special babies waiting for me at the bridge :rattyrainbow:
I miss you all so much

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Id neuter straight away as it will take a couple weeks before he can move in with the girls. That will give you time to bond

BatRats
Admin Aide

Post by BatRats » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:23 pm

I would neuter asap, he's going to be on his own for a couple of weeks so plenty of time to bond then!
Rigs, Fallow, Eldra, Basta!, Afterglow, Tinderbox, Dan, Nash, Lightfoot, Catalyst, Fog, Hannity, Terra, Allagash, Begasti, Freewild, Batman, Sunnymead, Coppermine, Silverthorne, Bazooka, Destri, LOX, Octaweb

BatRats
Admin Aide

Post by BatRats » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Haha epic x advice :D

ticketyboo_fran

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks, I'll let you know how we get on :-)
I miss you all so much

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:11 pm

yay :D
Libby
My rats: Mallory, Ron, Twinkie and Rogue
RIP: Misty, Truffle, Peaches, Ruby, Lola, Noodle, Minka, Hugo, Nakey Noodles, Pumpkin and Velvet. Miss you x

ticketyboo_fran

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Someone else went to see him on Saturday and showed and interest so they are holding him for them for a couple of days, I'm sure he'd rather have company and keep his balls! If not we are going to go and get him this Saturday, either way he will not be lonely now.... I think I will be disappointed now if he goes with them now though...
I miss you all so much

ticketyboo_fran

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Going to get him in the morning, poor mite is super terrified, he's gonna be work but I'll give him a happy ending :-)
I miss you all so much

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Good on you. He'll be happy with his harem, when he's been done of course. Bless him.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

lamb

Post by lamb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:11 pm

How exciting! So happy for you both :D
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

ticketyboo_fran

Post by ticketyboo_fran » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:07 pm

He's home now :-)

He's absolutely gorgeous, his hair is long and silky and he's really lovely :-)

He's come out of his shell already and been having a good explore about, so curious and interested in everything, I certainly didn't expect to happily take yoggies off me when I only had him an hour...

His name is Scampers :-)
I miss you all so much

Return to “Rescue care”