Should I adopt or wait?

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
Locked
doubrey
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Should I adopt or wait?

Post by doubrey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 am

Okay, this is probably a dumb question and I suspect I already know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway to see if you more experienced ratty people will confirm my suspicions or say otherwise.

I'm meant to be adopting a trio of rescue boys in the next couple of days, but have just learned that one of their cage mates (who I am not adopting) has a suspected respiratory infection. The (dumb) question is, should I delay adoption until all rats in the cage are clear, or do I risk adopting anyway. How likely is it that respiratory infections will affect an entire cage full of rats--ie, does the whole cage usually wind up needing treatment--or is it usually only one rat at a time that tends to fall ill?

I should also add that I have no other rats at this time.

User avatar
Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 3155
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:22 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by Rhian33 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 am

If the rats are from a rescue then they should get his respiratory infection cleared up before allowing you to home them. Obviously there can be some discretion to this if the new owner is very experienced but on the whole rescues will sort out any health issues before homing.

Respiratory infections normally just affect one rat but it can affect a whole group in times of stress such as a house move where the stress can trigger a flare up in everyone.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

User avatar
[cub]
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by [cub] » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:45 am

As I understand it, respiratory infections in rats can be caused by a number of different bacteria/viruses, but the most common is Mycoplasma pulmonis, which is carried by many if not most pet rats (and also apparently wild rats; only lab rats can be relied upon to be myco-free). Most of the time the rats in question will be asymptomatic carriers, but as Rhian said flare-ups can be triggered by stressful events. It's very likely that the rats you're adopting will be carriers of myco, and it also seems likely to me that their cagemate with the symptoms is having a myco flare-up, so you probably don't need to worry about your rats becoming infected via their cagemate because they're probably infected already. But just to be sure, check with the rescue as they'll have a better idea of what's going on.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.
Avatar by Ursula Vernon.

doubrey
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by doubrey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. All points were kind of along the lines I was thinking.

Rhian, if the stress of a move can cause a flare-up in rats carrying the disease, then couldn't it potentially affect the rats when they move, regardless of their cagemate's condition? I'm saying this not so much based on my rat experience but on my years of cat rescue (and cat flu) experience.

I haven't spoken to the rescuer about this yet as I though I'd canvass for ideas before seeing whether she would want to wait until the other rat clears up anyway.

doubrey
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by doubrey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I've just spoken to the rescuer. Apparently the ill rattie has always been a rather poorly one, but "my" three have never been ill and they've been with the rescuer (and cagemate) for some time.

User avatar
cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Posts: 5897
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am
Location: South Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 pm

In that case I'd say there's no need to wait. ;)

doubrey
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by doubrey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Excellent news. :D

User avatar
[cub]
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by [cub] » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:16 pm

doubrey wrote:if the stress of a move can cause a flare-up in rats carrying the disease, then couldn't it potentially affect the rats when they move, regardless of their cagemate's condition?
It can do, so "new home sneezes" are fairly common. Often they recover on their own after a few days, so if your incoming rats don't have any history of respiratory problems, if they do get a bit sneezy on arrival but are otherwise looking well, you probably needn't worry. :)
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.
Avatar by Ursula Vernon.

doubrey
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Should I adopt or wait?

Post by doubrey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 pm

[cub] wrote:
doubrey wrote:if the stress of a move can cause a flare-up in rats carrying the disease, then couldn't it potentially affect the rats when they move, regardless of their cagemate's condition?
It can do, so "new home sneezes" are fairly common. Often they recover on their own after a few days, so if your incoming rats don't have any history of respiratory problems, if they do get a bit sneezy on arrival but are otherwise looking well, you probably needn't worry. :)
That is good to know, because I very well might have. :lol:

Locked

Return to “Rescue care”