Mistreated Rescues - Help!

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
minnie95

Mistreated Rescues - Help!

Post by minnie95 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:21 am

Tonight we saw a man post on facebook about 50+ animals he needed 'rid' of. This included mice, rats, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, various small birds (etc). All of the animals were in tiny cages and had no water, food, and certainly no toys. :(

The rats in question were advertised as £3 each or 'a tenner' with a cage. And by cage - I mean something I wouldnt even let a pet rock live in. The cages looked too small for a rat to lay down in - let alone live in. :evil:

So - seeing the rats in this state and panicking, thinking they could go for snake food, we offered to take on any rats he had left. He stated he has three boys left, and agreed to let me have them free, as long as i gave him some petrol money for dropping them off to my house (do not drive). So we agreed.

Most of my rats have been breeder rats, or rescues which have been rehabilitated before I have taken them on. :oops:

My main question is, What can I do/should I do to help these 3 boys?

The information I know is, two are 3 to 3 and a half month old, and the other is 7-8weeks old. They are - and i quote - "Greyish and blueish" :evil: :evil: I have not seen pictures of these rats nor their current accommodation, but judging by pictures of the other rats, they will be squished in a small cage, with no food and no water, on shavings :evil: As far as I know, the two older rats and the younger one have not been introduced - so I am suspecting he will shove all three together, drop them off and leave pretty quick.

I have weight-up baby, baby food, porridge, fresh veggies, fruit ect. I feed a muesli type mixed food for the main diet. I have antibiotics, painkillers and bandages.

I am currently stealing (and cleaning) toys from my boy & girl ratties, rabbit and hamster, and have a nice big cage for them which I am going to get ready tomorrow.

The man is dropping them of Saturday night. Is there anything I can do for them, extra? Should I leave them in a smaller cage and then put them into the bigger one at a later date, and also should I split the tree up and introduce them carefully, on my own terms so they have a long lasting relationship and no-one gets bullied?

Sorry for the long post - not sure how to go about this one really! :oops:
Ratties: :hearts: Boys: Ziggy, Rafiki and Remy Girls: Luna, Mouse, Daisy, Maisy, Alice, Kim, Aggie, Rowena & Helga :hearts:

:hearts: Released from my hands :rattyrainbow: Ozzy & Timmy & Tom & Jerry & Alwyn & Loki :rattyrainbow: sealed in my heart :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Mistreated Rescues - Help!

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:59 am

The young kitten will introduce to the slightly older kittens really easily, so leave them together.

I would expect they will be happier in a small cage at first, they could be scared by a big space until they settle.

I'd say it's advisable to quarantine them - you'll have no idea what sort of bugs they'll have been exposed to.

minnie95

Post by minnie95 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:04 am

Thats what I thought, I will put them all in the smaller cage. We have already moved cages into a different room for quarantining, unfortunately I don't have a separate house to take them to. We are assuming they will be underweight and in poor conditions looking at the pictures of the other animals. :cry:
Ratties: :hearts: Boys: Ziggy, Rafiki and Remy Girls: Luna, Mouse, Daisy, Maisy, Alice, Kim, Aggie, Rowena & Helga :hearts:

:hearts: Released from my hands :rattyrainbow: Ozzy & Timmy & Tom & Jerry & Alwyn & Loki :rattyrainbow: sealed in my heart :hearts:

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am

Well done you for taking them on :hearts:
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

minnie95

Post by minnie95 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:31 am

ElizabethW wrote:Well done you for taking them on :hearts:
Just wish we could take them all! We currently have 5 cats, 12 rats, 2 rabbits and a hamster, all of which are rescues. So unfortunatly we can only take the three rats he has left, but lots of people are helping to rehome the other animals :)

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:47 pm

It's lovely that you are giving them a home.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

lamb

Post by lamb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:48 am

Big day today :D really excited for you. Little do they know life's about to get fun :hearts:
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

jadie_99

Post by jadie_99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Let us know how you get on :-)
Mo, Bolt, Poe, Finn & Kylo

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Ooohh exciting. Can't wait to hear more.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:05 pm

If you can't do a different airspace by roping in friends or family, then doing the best you can with the options you have is the way to go. Being in a different room is great. I'd also try and make sure you're wearing different clothing/ a different top layer at least in between them. Also lots of washing, and ideally caring for your own first each time so the path is current rats > new rats (with washing etc. in the middle), rather than new rats > current rats (which presents more of a risk) :luck:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

minnie95

Post by minnie95 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi thanks for your suggestions everyone :)

The 3 boys turned out to be 4!! But of course I accepted all of them. They also do not look to be any where near 3 months of age! 3 of them I would say are around 8 week old, and the other one I wouldn't say is more than 5 week old. They are all a dark grey, with various markings, and I suspect they will all roan out to white.

I gave them all a quick one over, and other than being tiny, and quite thin, they all seem to be ok and they are now all comfy with some fleece in my hospital cage. They were very hungry and stuffed their faces as soon as I popped them into their new cage, they are sleeping now in a large box filled with fleece :D

I will try get a picture as soon as I can, but I am leaving them to sleep for now :)

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Good call taking them in. They will soon settle in and run you ragged. :D
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Rescue care”