Help, took in two rescues!

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
jackie64701

Help, took in two rescues!

Post by jackie64701 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Jackie and I run Kansas City Hedgehog Rescue. Yesterday, I took in two new hedgehogs, a male and a most likely pregnant female, and somehow two rats got bundled in with them! One is albino, the other has a brown head and shoulders with a white body, we are going to call them Basil and Rattigan.

However, I know almost NOTHING about rat care and rehabilitation! I went to the pet stores and got them a hammock, some wooden chews, some Mazuri lab pellets, and a water bottle. I already had paper substrate bedding, a wheel, and an igloo. I currently have them in what I know is a too small cage, but I have someone donating a larger cage on Friday (3 foot by 1.5 foot)

Do I have to bathe them? How do I check for health issues? How often do they need socialized? Do they have heat requirements? What are the big do's and don'ts here?

Any help appreciated!

RedFraggle

Re: Help, took in two rescues!

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Crikey!! Check out the articles section of the forum http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=11
There's lots of info there.
Mazuri is an ok diet from what US folks tell me. Oxbow is also ok. We don't have either of those in the UK.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Ps: You don't need to bath them and they're pretty robust relative to other rodents.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

I don't think you'd need to bathe the rats, unless they're incredibly filthy. They also shouldn't have any special temperature requirements if they're being kept indoors, as temperatures that are tolerable for us are fine for them. As winter approaches, they'll appreciate having nesting material (if the paper substrate you're using is soft they'll probably use that; you can also offer them torn up newspaper, or a roll of cheap toilet paper or kitchen towel to do with as they please). When things get warm in the summer they'll appreciate a bowl of water to help them cool down, ice blocks, that sort of thing. But for the most part they'll be fine temperature-wise, especially as there's two of them to keep each other warm.

One crucial thing to do right now is sex them: http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51 has a guide in case you don't know how with rats. In adults, testicles are really rather obvious and nipples aren't too hard to see either, so it shouldn't be too difficult unless they're very squirmy.

Good luck and well done for taking them in! :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

jackie64701

Post by jackie64701 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 pm

They are definitely males, lol. Hedgehog balls are internal and just make a bump near the anus. Rat balls are...impressive :) My husband is very excited, he loves rats and thinks they're adorable.

Return to “Rescue care”