Discussions relating to Hantavirus *Poll Added 6th April*

All questions, problems and suggestions about the way the forum works

Would you be interested in hantavirus testing?

No
13%
Yes, in the North
28%
Yes, in the Midlands
14%
Yes, in the South West
8%
Yes, in the South East
30%
Yes, anywhere
8%

Total votes: 64

izzerie
Admin Aide

Re: Discussions relating to Hantavirus *Poll Added 6th April

Post by izzerie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:04 am

Muddiwarx wrote:I am shocked at how few people appear to be making the effort to be tested - the HPA are coming to Halifax to do this for us, I'd love to know why people are choosing not to come.
Surely as rat lovers, we need to prove the hypothesis that our pets are no risk to anyone, and for that we need quantity of people.

The HPA were initially so impressed at the rat fancy - how everyone cared and rallied round - now we look wishy washy and not putting in the real life effort :(
I think this is an unfair and judgemental comment to make. Some of us don't have Monday to Friday jobs and some of us don't have cars or endless funds to travel hundreds of miles to be tested. Some of us would really like to be tested but just don't have the means to the get to the sessions that are being provided. Some of us don't have a choice.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 am

izzerie wrote: I think this is an unfair and judgemental comment to make. Some of us don't have Monday to Friday jobs and some of us don't have cars or endless funds to travel hundreds of miles to be tested. Some of us would really like to be tested but just don't have the means to the get to the sessions that are being provided. Some of us don't have a choice.
Equally, some people are rearranging long standing plans, swapping shifts and spending money they don't have to get there ...

We all have choices.

HOWEVER I am not specifically talking about any individuals, and people who know that it is beyond their means - financially, physically, distance wise or whatever, then fair enough, but are there really only 15 or so Northern rat owners able to make it? The rat fancy are great at rallying round, lift sharing, station meeting etc etc

NellyNoodle - I only just spotted the poll too!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

NellyNoodle wrote:I expect people just haven't noticed the poll? It's a bit confusing the poll being on the other thread but the discussion being on this thread, I'll be honest.
It couldn't be added to this thread because this one already has a poll...

I'll stick a global announcement up - but there's still no guarantee that people will notice it.

ETA - global announcement here!

Random_Bob

Post by Random_Bob » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm hoping to go along to Tempsford on 27 Nov with Mrs Bob. Haven't voted in the "Yes, test me at Tempsford" poll yet, as our plans can change......and often do :?
Ratless at present but with happy memories of Tosca, Spud, Pinky, Tilly, Beech, Littlest Rat, Fay, Bella, Babs, Husky, Maisie, Daisy, Molly, Horace, Frank, Loopy, Pumpkin, Turnip, Beans, Fünf, Pretzel, Spotty, Lottie and Blue.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Random_Bob wrote:I'm hoping to go along to Tempsford on 27 Nov with Mrs Bob. Haven't voted in the "Yes, test me at Tempsford" poll yet, as our plans can change......and often do :?
Hope to see you there. I'll just be popping in for testing as I have something else planned for months. Will only be me though as James is scared of needles and refuses to let anyone near his blood :roll:
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Well we had 20 people tested. The HPA were pleased with that. We've all got our kits for the rat urine tests.

I've got 7 sets for taking blood from people who can't get to a session and loads of urine kits for anyone who wants to provide some. They'll not be linked to a blood sample but will provide information on infection in rats.
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:43 pm

How do we get hold of a urine kit? I'm not going to be able to make any sessions by the looks of it (they are all on Saturdays and coming up to Christmas there's not a hope in hell of me getting a Saturday off- the joys of retail!) but could provide some urine samples from the critters.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Random_Bob

Post by Random_Bob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Random_Bob wrote:I'm hoping to go along to Tempsford on 27 Nov with Mrs Bob.
I've changed my mind. We're going on Sat 23 Nov instead. Firstly, that's when the testing is being done and, secondly, I don't want to scare the WI Wednesday coffee morning by turning up and asking for a blood test for a rat virus !

Do we need to tell them about any other antibodies that they may find, arising from past jabs that we've been given, or are they just testing for Hantavirus ?
Ratless at present but with happy memories of Tosca, Spud, Pinky, Tilly, Beech, Littlest Rat, Fay, Bella, Babs, Husky, Maisie, Daisy, Molly, Horace, Frank, Loopy, Pumpkin, Turnip, Beans, Fünf, Pretzel, Spotty, Lottie and Blue.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Random_Bob wrote:Do we need to tell them about any other antibodies that they may find, arising from past jabs that we've been given, or are they just testing for Hantavirus ?
Just testing for Hantavirus antibodies. The people doing the testing are really nice and friendly both in general and if you have any specific questions on the day. First there's blurb to read, then a member of staff goes through a little questionnaire with you (there's a question about recently past fevers) (and you get another questionnaire if you've done farm animal things too where everyone in the room glances over and wonders why you're taking so long on that stage :lol: ), then your blood sample is taken, and then if you're happy to collect rat pee you get given (a) kit(s) for that too. The stage of blood actually being taken is the shortest :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Random_Bob

Post by Random_Bob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks Beri :)

twigletzone

Post by twigletzone » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:47 am

Right. Will try to make the Tempsford session but am a total mess at the moment so if there's anyone who might offer me a lift over there and save me trying to drive while tired, please PM me.
:love: Adso & Fingermouse, my surrogate Zephyrs
:rattyrainbow: Pepper, the rat who made me love rats; Salt the 30 month rescue boy. Handsome Magnus. Rigel, my loving boy.

:mrgreen: "It's amazing how much sexier a man looks with a rat on him." - Exogenesis

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 am

I'm only going to be able to go to Tempsford if I can find a lift there and back at some time inbetween 11 and 2 - if there is someone driving from or past Cambridge, could twigletzone and I both hitch a lift in return for petrol money please? :luck:

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 pm

If this is ethical research, which I firmly believe it is, then NOBODY should feel under any pressure to take part.

Participants in research should only take part if they wish to and feel fully informed about the implications of taking part. I am in no way suggesting anyone should or shouldn't take part - but nobody should feel in any way pressurised to do so. In truth, any attempt to make people feel guilty about not taking part could lead to the termination of a trial.

If you don't feel comfortable doing so, or would like more information before you do, this is entirely your choice.

Katie
Katie x
Reinette, Satine, Lumi, Ilona, Satu, Rune, Beau and Joshua

SueN

Post by SueN » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Sorry I can't see where anyone is being pressurised. This testing is happening because there was a case of hantavirus that impacted very severely on a breeder, her family and her rats, therefore this testing is important for the whole of the rat fancy. The findings are going to be interesting and hopefully enlightening.
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 pm

I think KatieD is referring to Muddiwarx's comments about the lack of people participating.

Return to “Forum help”