Critter Nation

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Ratilicious

Critter Nation

Post by Ratilicious » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I have the opportunity to buy a dirt cheap Critter Nation cage. The only thing is, the platforms are beyond hope! Apart from getting custom metal ones from John? Is there anywhere in the UK that sells replacements?
TIA
Love Is...A Rat

RedFraggle

Re: Critter Nation

Post by RedFraggle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Do you mean the shelves? Many people (me included) take them out.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Ratilicious

Post by Ratilicious » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Hiya, Yes, sorry, I meant the shelves :oops:
Love Is...A Rat

debilechat

Post by debilechat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Where can you order custom shelves for the critter nation? I am looking for alternatives to the plastic shelf at the moment and am struggling to find anything deep enough that is also wide and long enough!
Crossed the rainbow bridge- Two gorgeous contrary girls- Brett and Lucia. <3

Waiting for three boys.

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 am

I've just got a couple of steel shelves made up by John Hopewell, he does a range of sizes and they seem to be really good quality if you don't mind paying postage (might be quite pricey if you're outside the uk!). I don't know if they still do but savic used to sell replacement shelves for the SRS, not sure if the dimensions are the same but it's the same sort of shelf.

If all else fails and you want them to have a few little levels, I've been attaching cheap cat litter trays using clips, works quite nicely as you can fill with substrate etc.

Hope this helps!
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 pm

debilechat wrote:Where can you order custom shelves for the critter nation? I am looking for alternatives to the plastic shelf at the moment and am struggling to find anything deep enough that is also wide and long enough!
As has already been said, it's best to ditch the shelves altogether and use other things to create a more challenging layout to keep them active and fit.

Fill the space with long ropes, branches, and tubes. Add perches and ledges to provide stopping points, and hang up a few hammocks, baskets, pots, etc. as beds.

Don't be limited to items sold for rats or other animals even, use garden baskets and flower pots, dog ropes, parrot perches and toys... one of my cages currently has a tall CD rack leaning diagonally across it. :luck:

Return to “Habitat”