Red Eyed Rats

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
xarixian

Red Eyed Rats

Post by xarixian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am

I've had three red eyed rats now and they've all been terrified of people, specifically of being picked up. One, a marten, is terrified of everything else as well.

I've only met four red-eyed rats, and the second marten that I met (not mine) was an absolute lovely cuddlebug but he seems an exception to the rule from my experience.

So I'm wondering if red eyed rats are maybe more nervous as youngsters because of their reduced sight. Do they have a higher flight/fight response from birth that can be reduced with regular sympathetic handling when young, or worsened by being ignored as nippy or nervous rats tend to be in pet shops or when they're bought for children, etc? All my rats are rescues, and all the red eyes have come with other black eyed rats that have been MUCH easier to handle.
Present: Mahogany & Porcelain, Hati, Loki

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Red Eyed Rats

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I have quite a few red eyed rats, but mine are all fine. I think yours must just have been a matter of bad luck and coincidence. Some red eyed rats have poorer eyesight, but not all, and those that do aren't necessarily any more nervous as a result - I expect their background may have an influence.

xarixian

Re: Red Eyed Rats

Post by xarixian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Ah okay, thanks for smashing apart my theory. I suppose it's just coincidence then and my particular red eyed rats that are nervy.
Present: Mahogany & Porcelain, Hati, Loki

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

Return to “Behaviour”